• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got my 6300! How do I decode the stuff on it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v8440

Hi all,

It suddenly dawned on me that some time had passed since I ordered my 6300 from newegg. I checked, and sure enough, it had been delivered today. I don't know how to decode all the stuff printed on it. Well, some of it makes sense, like 1.86 ghz, 2m cache, 1066 fsb, but that's about it.

The thing of supposed significance is the FPO/BATCH #.
For example, mine is Q640A507.

This is how I understand it:
The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th digit represent year and week manufactured (In this case week 40 of 2006).
The 5th digit is a letter, identifying whether you have an A or B or...etc. Like "I have an A e6400". It's unclear to me what this letter means. Maybe manufacture location? Or day of the week?
The 6th, 7th, and 8th digit denote the # your CPU has been made on that week. I am unsure if it denotes wafer number or die number, but I'm going to guess wafer.
I'm not sure what the 1st digit means.

Could someone come in here and correct me?

Last edited:
Ok, looking at my new chip, the last line (what I think you're referring to with all this is:

L631A886

One thing that surprises me is how old my chip seems to be-week 31 of 06!?
Mine is also an "A" chip, whatever that means.

I just found a thread where someone said the stepping isn't on the outside of the chip, but must be viewed from cpuid. That's a downer-I don't have the rest of the stuff to build the machine yet.

all retail C2D's are either step B2, L2, or B3. B2 is Conroe, L2 is Allendale, and B3 is Kentsfield. you have a B2, i can promise you that. ;) (the L631A886 tipped me off btw;))

so, its a conroe. which is good. that means that 3.5ghz might be doable. if it were an allendale, you'd be looking at 3-3.3ghz.

for reference, mine is an L626A.

we don't know for sure what year it is. i don't think that the weeks correspond to the weeks of the year either. week 30 of 06 would mean it was made in July, and i really doubt that.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
we don't know for sure what year it is. i don't think that the weeks correspond to the weeks of the year either. week 30 of 06 would mean it was made in July, and i really doubt that.

Yeah, that does sound strange. That's why I was wondering. It being week 31 of the processor line sounds plausible though. Oh well, at least I have a B chip, which you guys say is likely better for high clock speeds.

v8440 said:
Oh well, at least I have a B chip, which you guys say is likely better for high clock speeds.
no, your stepping is B2, which all conroe are. you have an A chip, as seen here: L631A886.

the good new is that IMO, A, B....it really doesn't matter.

Back