• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about getting an Xbox 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zintac

Registered
Hello all,

I’ve been thinking about getting an Xbox 360. I was just wondering what problems you have had with it. I’m about to sink 600+ bucks into it.

Is the over heating problem really as bad as it seams to be on the net?
I have read to stay away from the Nyko system cooler because of the power connecters can burn up.

Here is what I’m thinking about getting
1. 360 Pro.
2. 360 Pro vision kit with 12 months of X-box Live
3. 4 rechargeable battery packs and re charger
4. 1 extra Wireless remote.
5. The Media remote for DVD’s

I’m mostly getting this for GTAIV and some other games for the wife and me.

Is it worth paying the extra 50 bucks for the 1 year no question asked replacement plan from EB games?

I'd go for 2 years as it already comes with 1 year, Best Buy offers that, I don't know if EB does. Mine never overheated but the optical drive crapped out 369 days after I got it. Microsoft was REALLY helpful by exchanging it for a new one for me AND giving me a free game AND not charging extra for shipping. I'm paying $35 for a new 360, game and shipping.

Get the plan. I've never had problems with overheating, but I've had the disc read error a few times. The camera is pretty cool. Map your face into rainbow six: vegas, it's a little creepy when it finishes. :)

If you can't wait a week without your unit and its worth the $50 to just swap it a Eb or where ever get it, but if you can wait for a mail in replacement then don't waste the money. The $50 1 year really isn't an additional warrenty, its more of an easy swap perk since it doesn't extent past the manufacturers warranty.

The 06 and up seem to be pretty reliable anyway.

I am also thinking strongly of getting one, was going to wait for a price drop/core shrink....but the shrink might be a ways off...and a price drop may not even happen for a long time. Are there any good bundle deals you guys know of? What I'd really like to find is one with a DVI cable since my TV has that and right now both component inputs are being used.

There is no DVI cable, unless there is a 3rd party I'm not aware of. You CAN get the VGA cable and use an VGA-DVI adapter though. I've seen some deals at Best Buy with a game or two bundled in.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I’ll just get the extra warranty and call it good

Fudge your suggestion actually brought up a good point in my mind...that if I can get a VGA to DVI connector.....the VGA cable is probably a better way to go. If I wanted to plug into my monitor instead of TV I could since it doesn't have DVI. And a D-sub connection is capable of great quality....I always wondered why in the home theater world they didn't embrace it sooner instead of component. It's cheaper and high quality.

Back