Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Member rxtrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    515

    Logon Script Help - Hide RealVNC Icon from System Tray

    You guys are very helpful in this forum, so I am sure I can get the answer here.

    I am looking to setup a logon script for my company to Hide the realvnc system tray icon all the time.

    I know if you right click on the taskbar and customize the icons, you can select a specific icon and choose to hide it all the time.

    Problem is I do not want to do this to 100+ computers. =)

    I am using realvnc 4 enterprise edition if that matters.

    Thanks,

    Rob

  2. #2
    Member rxtrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    515
    Maybe this is in the wrong forum???

  3. #3
    Disabled Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Narf City, USA
    Posts
    6,032
    http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnctool/

    http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnctool/vnctool.pdf

    It appears you could install VNC, configure it, export the settings, import those settings into a host configuration using their deployment tool, then push that configured host to the computers. Or it could be easier than that - use the tool to manage your clients and push a common config to them.

    I can't speak from experience, we use a third party management tool to deploy VNC to our managed clients and have not needed to hide the tray icon.

    This would probably be better answered in the "applications and software" area. I'll flag it for a mod to move...
    Last edited by Pinky; 02-28-07 at 10:52 AM.

  4. #4
    Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor


    David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Posts
    15,547
    Moved.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor


    The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

    My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

  5. #5
    Member rxtrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky
    http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnctool/

    http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnctool/vnctool.pdf

    It appears you could install VNC, configure it, export the settings, import those settings into a host configuration using their deployment tool, then push that configured host to the computers. Or it could be easier than that - use the tool to manage your clients and push a common config to them.

    I can't speak from experience, we use a third party management tool to deploy VNC to our managed clients and have not needed to hide the tray icon.

    This would probably be better answered in the "applications and software" area. I'll flag it for a mod to move...

    Thanks for the reply.

    I am using the VNCtool to install and export settings, but the hide icon setting does not exist for vnc. Even their website says it. SO I thought the work around was a reg hack that I can push via logon script.

    I guess that is my question, how can I make a logon script to hide the icon because it is not a setting of the app.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Disabled Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Narf City, USA
    Posts
    6,032
    Quote Originally Posted by rxtrom
    I guess that is my question, how can I make a logon script to hide the icon because it is not a setting of the app.
    Gotcha

    I just did about 30 minutes of 'research' and ran into the same roadblocks as you. It appears that loading in the system tray is a 'feature' of winvnc4. Problem is that the executable determines its behavior, and version 4 (as far as I could tell) has no command line/switch to turn off/on the system tray. So I don't think we have a choice but to live with the system tray icon because that's the way realvnc want it.

    I'm going to keep tabs to see if a solution is found. Got my curiosity peaked and I learned a little more about modifying services and vnc's advanced options, so wwin win for me.

    I'd be interested to see if someone knows of a third party app that can suppress which items can/cannot be shown in the system tray, because from what I can tell that's about the only way to stop vnc from appearing.

  7. #7
    Member rxtrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky
    Gotcha

    I just did about 30 minutes of 'research' and ran into the same roadblocks as you. It appears that loading in the system tray is a 'feature' of winvnc4. Problem is that the executable determines its behavior, and version 4 (as far as I could tell) has no command line/switch to turn off/on the system tray. So I don't think we have a choice but to live with the system tray icon because that's the way realvnc want it.

    I'm going to keep tabs to see if a solution is found. Got my curiosity peaked and I learned a little more about modifying services and vnc's advanced options, so wwin win for me.

    I'd be interested to see if someone knows of a third party app that can suppress which items can/cannot be shown in the system tray, because from what I can tell that's about the only way to stop vnc from appearing.

    Glad I could plant that little seed.

    As far as hiding the system tray icons:

    If you right click on the task bar, and click on properties
    Then click customize in the notification area
    Find the VNC icon, or any iucon for that matter
    Then select always hide in the drop down menu.

    This works.

    BUT again I should have not rushed my original post. I appologize.

    I knew how to supress the icon, I know it adds something to the win registry. I do not know what or where.

    I do know I do not want to go through the above steps on all of our computers here.

    That is where the logon script comes in. To just tweak the one reg entry.

    I do not know how to create a logon script to change reg entrys, and U do not know which one to change.

  8. #8
    Just Another Retired Moderator Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Posts
    6,884
    As per RealVNC support,

    "It is not possible to hide the VNC Server 4.0 tray icon. This is a
    deliberate measure.

    Cheers,

    Wez @ RealVNC Ltd."

    The icon is there as a result of the source code - not a registry entry. This was a change made in 4.0.

  9. #9
    Disabled Pinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Narf City, USA
    Posts
    6,032
    Quote Originally Posted by rxtrom
    As far as hiding the system tray icons:

    If you right click on the task bar, and click on properties
    Then click customize in the notification area
    Find the VNC icon, or any iucon for that matter
    Then select always hide in the drop down menu.

    This works.
    I feel I should have known that, but it's one of those otherwise useless features unless you have a need for it... so I digress .

    I did some more research, found a key that looked promising but couldn't tell if this was where windows was pulling info for all the tray icons.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

    Need more time to look into it, but I'm at work and don't pay me to work on ocforum member issues.

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3
    Hide Real VNC 4 Tray Icon [SOLVED]
    I have created hacked files that you can use to hide the tray icons.
    RealVNC will run completely hidden, there will be no visual changes when a user connects to the pc, not even the least change in the taskbar.

    In case the hacked files are reported expired on the rapidshare server, let me know, I will re-upload them. Email: ai [dot] revolutions [at] gmail [dot] com

    http://rapidshare.com/files/10154731..._Tray_Icon.rar

    All instructions in how-to.txt

    The hacked version was build from RealVNC 4.3.2.0

    By Shailen Sobhee
    http://digitalgraphy.wordpress.com

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1
    I am trying to do the same thing, and with a little bit of research I came up with this.

    How can I hide the WinVNC tray icon?

    Assuming that your users are on windows PCs, change the following
    registry value:

    In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3,
    "DisableTrayIcon"=dword:00000001

    This "registry hack" only works on some flavors of VNC servers,
    but not all: TightVNC is supported, RealVNC is not. See here for
    the whole list of (Xref) Flavors of VNC and VNC Add-on's.

    Thanks to Nick Palmer for the contribution!

    An alternative and more drastic measure to prevent the VNC
    icon from appearing in the system tray is to modify the
    a registry entry specific to Windows itself. Making a mistake
    in here could prevent Windows from ever working correctly again,
    so please beware.

    If VNC is running as a service, you can remove its service helper
    key from the Windows registry. That is, via regedit, remove the
    "WinVNC" value which can be found in one of these:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    or
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    or
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    Again, this is very risky. But it should work.

    The third method of "hiding" the VNC tray icon requires some
    developers tools: using a resource editor, modify the WinVNC
    icon so that it will show the same icon both before and after
    a client is connected.

    It worked for me.
    Also I am working on creating a batch file to run each computer to update the computer daily. If you have some tips I would appreciate it.
    Madlady37

  12. #12
    Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor


    David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Posts
    15,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Shailen Sobhee View Post
    Hide Real VNC 4 Tray Icon [SOLVED]
    I have created hacked files that you can use to hide the tray icons.
    RealVNC will run completely hidden, there will be no visual changes when a user connects to the pc, not even the least change in the taskbar.

    In case the hacked files are reported expired on the rapidshare server, let me know, I will re-upload them. Email: ai [dot] revolutions [at] gmail [dot] com

    http://rapidshare.com/files/10154731..._Tray_Icon.rar

    All instructions in how-to.txt

    The hacked version was build from RealVNC 4.3.2.0

    By Shailen Sobhee
    http://digitalgraphy.wordpress.com
    I've scanned this download for viruses and AVG found nothing. Although I'd recommend all members are careful about downloading modified binaries from essentially unknown sources.

    No offense Shailen: just a friendly reminder to our membership as you're new around these parts. If this binary is legit it's much appreciated
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor


    The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

    My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

  13. #13
    Member Seinken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    374
    When I needed to do this to prank my sister I used a program called StealthVNC. ;o
    | Processor | AMD Phenom X4 945 |---| Mobo | Crosshair III Formula
    | RAM | 8GB G.Skill Trident DDR3 |----| VGA | 1xGeforce 295GTX
    | PSU | Enermax EVO Galaxy 1250w | Cooling | Xigmatek Dark Knight

  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3

    Talking RealVNC 4.4.0 No Tray Icon Hack

    Here I am again. No worries David, the files are clean. In any case, you may open the rar file and see all the individual files, scan them etc. They are modified from the original compiled RealVNC files.

    This hack is for RealVNC 4.4.0. Someone requested that version a few weeks ago via email. I have seen version 4.4.1 released on the realvnc.com website, but I haven't yet tried it.

    So without further delay, here is the link:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/11630173...NoTrayIcon.rar

    Any queries, just send a mail: ai[dot]revolutions[at]gmail[dot]com

    Cheers,

    Shailen Sobhee

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3
    Modified files for RealVNC Enterprise Version 4.4.2: http://digitalgraphy.wordpress.com

  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1

    VNC

    Quote Originally Posted by Shailen Sobhee View Post
    Modified files for RealVNC Enterprise Version 4.4.2: http://digitalgraphy.wordpress.com
    Hi! Shailen,

    Do you cracked files for RealVNCEnterprise 4.1.9?

    Thank You.

  17. #17
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    Hi everybody

    I'm new here, or not really... I've been a reader but never actually register an account
    Today I register an account just to post this one post.

    I wanna say, Shailen's executables are safe, the ones for 4.4.2 at least
    I checked the hash against the genuine one, he didn't modify anything in the vncviewer.exe
    As for winvnc4, I tried modifying the genuine one in ResHack to make it look like his, and the hash also match

    By hashes, I'm talking about MD5, SHA1, and CRC-32, all of them match
    Here's what I did

    Go into ResHack, under Menu, delete the 102 menu, that's the system tray icon's menu
    Under Icon Group, delete 101, 105, 115, 125, 126 icon groups

    Save it, you should have an identical executable now.

    Doubt others all you want. But can't really doubt the one you modified yourself now, can you?

    Download Shailen's executable, or do the work yourself, or download to compare and modify along, whichever you choose.

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by madlady37 View Post
    I am trying to do the same thing, and with a little bit of research I came up with this.

    How can I hide the WinVNC tray icon?

    Assuming that your users are on windows PCs, change the following
    registry value:

    In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3,
    "DisableTrayIcon"=dword:00000001

    This "registry hack" only works on some flavors of VNC servers,
    but not all: TightVNC is supported, RealVNC is not. See here for
    the whole list of (Xref) Flavors of VNC and VNC Add-on's.

    Thanks to Nick Palmer for the contribution!

    An alternative and more drastic measure to prevent the VNC
    icon from appearing in the system tray is to modify the
    a registry entry specific to Windows itself. Making a mistake
    in here could prevent Windows from ever working correctly again,
    so please beware.

    If VNC is running as a service, you can remove its service helper
    key from the Windows registry. That is, via regedit, remove the
    "WinVNC" value which can be found in one of these:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    or
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    or
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

    Again, this is very risky. But it should work.

    The third method of "hiding" the VNC tray icon requires some
    developers tools: using a resource editor, modify the WinVNC
    icon so that it will show the same icon both before and after
    a client is connected.

    It worked for me.
    Also I am working on creating a batch file to run each computer to update the computer daily. If you have some tips I would appreciate it.
    Madlady37
    madlady37 had the solution that worked for me. I downloaded "XN Resource Editor" and replaced the black icons in "icon group 105" with white ones in "icon group 101" of the winvnc4.exe file on the computer that I am connecting to and saved the changes. Then I connected to that computer remotely and the icon on the tray stayed white. You must stop the server before saving the file or the update will not take, then start the server again after replacing the file. I stopped the server, then renamed the winvnc4.exe for backup just in case, then did a save-as winvnc4.exe after I changed the icons. Worked like a charm. Thanks madlady37!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •