• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Klipsch 5.1 amp dead. anyone have a DIY repair guide?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, is everyone plagued with problems from these speakers? I have already had 2 replacement amps for my PMU 5.1s. The current amp is now going out too. For some reason, the sub no longer works, and any frequency from about middle midrange down is very muddy. Upper midrange and the highs are as clear as ever though. I am throwing in the towel on my PMUs after 4 years and getting a pair of these for music

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP8

Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra Bug Light

this thread probably wasn't reaching the right crowd in the sound section so i am reposting it here

my klipsch promedia 5.1 speakers all of a sudden turned into 0.1 speakers a few days ago as all 5 satellites stopped working and only the sub was producing any sound. I have looked on several message board and it seems this is a common problem of the amp dieing due to overheating and i also hear stories of a few people who will repair it for money or sending it back to Klipsch for repair, but i was wondering if any of the hardcore modders here had ever repaired their own or if someone had put together a guide on how to repair a broken one.

thanks

:bang head http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/96150/1162103.aspx#1162103

I too. BASH HC1011 - Replace following bicycledr4376's instructions. One is for the subs and one is for the 5 sats. The one showing the logo out is Sats the one showing logo in is subs. Double check the components bicycledr4376s suggests.

-Jake Sherlock

If blows fuse on power-up....

Don't know about others, but the Ultra 5.1 has a MOV (blue on mine) that protects against spikes. If it's blown, it will fry your fuse as soon as you apply power.

Quick fix: Clip leads and remove. Run on a surge-suppressor.

Apparently the R527 and R7 resisters will chronicly overheat. Remote mounting has worked for some along with an aux. fan. The kit I saw on eBay included two fans and a ps that hooked to the AC input (so no drain on the amp supply.)

Don't know about others, but the Ultra 5.1 has a MOV (blue on mine) that protects against spikes. If it's blown, it will fry your fuse as soon as you apply power.

Quick fix: Clip leads and remove. Run on a surge-suppressor.

Or do what I did and replace it with one from RadioShack the part number is 276-0568 it cost $1.99.

Has anyone figured out what causes the hissing static noise from the speakers? I get it from all 5. have the Klipsch thX 5.1 SYStem. have all the mini cables disconnected from sond card still does it. This elliot guy wants $120 to ship it to him to replace some parts in the power supply. Anything anyone knows from experience I could check before dishing out the money?

bulldog5,

I'm getting the exact same thing. It happened not more than a couple days ago. I've taken apart the sub and and looked at it quite closely. Thing is, I only get static as an addition to the sounds and the sub. The sub itself works really well. It's the amp I'm sure that it's going.

Do tell the route you went. I can provide pictures of the inside of my sub if you are looking at yours and would like something to compare it to.

hewlett123 -- I just opened mine again to see if I noticed anything and I really don't see any capacitors leaking or anything that catches my eyes yet. Have you figured anything out?

From what I've gathered reading about these subs, they have 2 power supplies and 6 amps. 1 power supply and 1 amp for the sub, and the other power supply and 5 amps for the satellites. If the power supply for the satellites is introducing noise to the 5 amps, they can pass that noise to the speakers. If the noise is a high frequency, it could even be going to the sub's amp and not be audible because the sub's crossover/ frequency response cuts it from being audible.

without an oscilloscope, All i can suggest is throwing parts at it that are commonly known issues in the power supply to see if you can cure it.

sorry to thread necro but i came back from vacation to find my promedia ultra 5.1 system dead.

my problem: system won't power on at all. I opened the sub and found the fuse was blown so I bought more, replaced it, turned it on and "pop". Blown fuse again.

so i started researching more, found this thread and another (linked above) at [H] and found the schematics http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/5-1/5-1_bash_amp.htm. in the [H] thread, it says the fuse blowing is due to a blown MOV1 but mine reads 166 ohms which i believe means its ok. Looking around further, I found some burned spots on the AC/DC converter:

and then i saw this post at [H]: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035256486&postcount=316 which looked exactly like my daughter card but he was getting different symptoms. I started taking the AC/DC converter apart and found that my Q501 mosfet is blown just like his:

even tho the daughter card looks pretty bad, i believe everything is testing ok with my DMM, so I'm hoping I can simply replace the MOSFET and be back in business. now i just need to find the part...

Last edited:
Back