• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First solid Barcelona numbers tip up [The Inquirer]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All in all, though I'd like to believe the Barcelona will kick butt like that, it's a very poor source to cite because of all the variables.

For starters it's not SETI, it's BOINC, which includes many other projects all with varying ways of assigning credit.

Secondly, there is no way to know how much actual computing time is devoted to any given project be it 24/7 or 6 hours/day.

Third, this is an average of all the given CPUs in the project database regardless of their use time, project being worked, or OC state.

As an example, my 4400+ (running at ~2.6 GHz) does almost nothing but crunch SETI numbers 24/7 and averages just over 1200 credits/day. My Opty (2.7 GHz) is my main machine and is used for other programs and projects, some of which don't credit as much as SETI. It only averages ~1000 cr/day. The thing is, once you average ALL the 4400s or Opty 180s you get lower credits/day than mine because a good part of them aren't OC'ed and fewer still run BOINC as much as I do. The numbers listed have more to do with devotion to BOINC than to CPU performance ...

I think it's safe to assume that anyone in the top 100 of the seti list is running 24/7, dedicated SETI. Still, I don't think that ranking is trustworthy, and I don't think there is any confirmation that it is definitely Barcelona.

splat said:
I think it's safe to assume that anyone in the top 100 of the seti list is running 24/7, dedicated SETI.
That's what I'm trying to explain - it cannot be assumed the CPUs listed are running BOINC 24/7 (it's not all SETI). In fact, it would be incredible to believe such a thing. These numbers are averages for ALL the machines in the BOINC (not SETI) database with a given processor regardless of their percent of use or BOINC projects being run. This would also include any machines previously registered and no longer crunching numbers - it takes awhile for the machines to drop out of the database averages ...

Last edited:
not sure id trust that when the anandtech preview states the barcelona to be native quad core, not dual core.
we should see real performence previews in a few months. hopefully sonner than later, to keep am2 alive =)

Back