• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad News

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Another one has passed..... please bow your heads in prayer and repete after me:

Our Program, who art in Memory,
"Folding" be Thy Name.
The Operating System come,
Thy commands be done,
at the Printer, as they are on the Screen.

Give us this day, our Daily WU's,
and forgive us our I/O Errors and EUE's,
as we forgive those whose Logic Circuits are faulty.
Lead us not into Frustration,
and Deliver us from Power Surges.

For Thine is the Algorithm,
The Application,
The Client,
and The Solution,
Looping forever and ever,

Return.

My SMP box went belly up. Mobo was 2nd hand & the best I can tell, the hdd controler is toast. :cry:

No WU was harmed. :thup:

Doesn't identify any hdd upon boot up, just hangs. Can't even get into the BIOS.

RIP - P5WD2-P

:beer: :beer: :beer:

:rolleyes:

WarriorII said:
Another one has passed..... please bow your heads in prayer and repete after me:

My SMP box went belly up. Mobo was 2nd hand & the best I can tell, the hdd controler is toast. :cry:

No WU was harmed. :thup:

Doesn't identify any hdd upon boot up, just hangs. Can't even get into the BIOS.

RIP - P5WD2-P

:beer: :beer: :beer:

:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that :cry:

Does it post the ITE or SI raid interface?
If so you could run from them?

Asus waranty is 3 years on those boards so you should be able to rma.

Yah had me scared there for a minute :)

I lost one my GPU rigs a couple weeks ago (it was either the motherboard, P5AD2-E, or the chip, Intel 560) but computers can be resurrected! I had to think about how I was going to fix mine, but I'm currently loading XP on a new P5B-D with an e6400. If all goes well, it should start folding later tonight.

Anyway, pick up a new motherboard, and you should be good to go!

WAIT ! :)

HDD S.M.A.R.T. Status = BAD :shrug:

HDD toast? getting there?

I had to install xp on the original hdd (still good) on my other machine,
THEN install that hdd in this machine. Only way I could get the mobo to work.

It has something to do with this mobo. I just unplugged the CD drive & it recognized the hdd & booted.

:bang head

*crosses fingers & toes*
Is it dead? Please be dead!

Ok well I don't want it to be dead, as that means you spend more money....but I honestly can't say that I'm even the tiniest bit saddened by your lose of your SMP folder.

I'll seen you in under a month;)

:p:p

Shelnutt2 said:
*crosses fingers & toes*
Is it dead? Please be dead!

Ok well I don't want it to be dead, as that means you spend more money....but I honestly can't say that I'm even the tiniest bit saddened by your lose of your SMP folder.

I'll seen you in under a month;)

:p:p
Do you really think it'll take a month for him to swap out a motherboard? I replaced a motherboard and CPU in ~10 days and I'm not all that speedy :beer:

MVC said:
Do you really think it'll take a month for him to swap out a motherboard? I replaced a motherboard and CPU in ~10 days and I'm not all that speedy :beer:

Nope..but with out that extra 600-700 ppd from his 805, well he is looking at 400-500 total PPD..and well since I am getting 1750 PPD...

500x+-25,686 = 1750x
25686 = 1250x
x = 25686/1250 = 20.5 days till I overtake him...:):) So he has 20 days to get his SMP rig back online.

At least a Conroe. :eek:

Maybe even 2. :D

if I can swing it.

1 24/7 Folder & 1 part time game rig (2-4 hours once a week)

with change to spare to buy a BIG BAG of Cheesey Poofs to throw @ Shellnut. :p

IDE cables are cheap. Get all new and try each drive by itself to see if it gets detected during the POST.

Then swap known good drives for ones that still seem bad.

It could also be a slightly corrupted BIOS. Make sure your floppy system is good before attempting to reflash the BIOS in a driverless DOS environment.

Audioaficionado said:
IDE cables are cheap. Get all new and try each drive by itself to see if it gets detected during the POST.

Then swap known good drives for ones that still seem bad.

It could also be a slightly corrupted BIOS. Make sure your floppy system is good before attempting to reflash the BIOS in a driverless DOS environment.

Roger that, -Will do.

I don't think the BIOS has been flashed yet from stock.
I have a few cables in the drawer here (6-8 of em)
This is an older drive that had been factory tested b4 I got it,
and this is the 1st time I've used it.

I would have to agree to the cables also.
although..... (shhh.. can't say it out loud)

I have to do 2 -12 hr days tomorrow & Fri. So I'll get to it asap.

If it does turn out that the mobo is going south on you, I am pretty impressed with the performance I'm seeing out of my new Asus P5N-E SLI (650i chipset) board, WII. I now have my e6300 at 500 fsb on it. :D The nice thing about the Nvidia based boards is that you can decouple the ram speed from the fsb speed which should allow some high overclocks on low multi processors like the e6300 without having to buy very high end memory. I actually can't test this out presently though as the only ddr2 I have that will run in a non-Intel chipset board is high end OCZ SLI ddr2. The other ddr2 ram I have is some G. Skill ZX, which only runs in Intel chipset boards.

Replace the cable & it fired right up, faster than it has in a while. :thup:

Mobo is still goofy though. :bang head

Back