• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti Bechmark Instructions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13oots2

Important
I am experiencing problems with my ISP. Please back-up the result.sah, before E-mailing this is to ensure that there is a copy, just incase I don't receive it.

Here are the details on how to use the Benchmark Work Unit:-

Firstly make a copy of your Seti folder and keep it somewhere safe. I know most of us use Seti Driver to cache WU's, so the following applies to Seti Driver. Open the copy of the Seti Folder and delete all the cached WU's except for the folder named 1. Open folder 1 and delete the result header and the state file, also delete them from the Seti folder, download my WU file and replace the WU file in folder 1. You can now cruch the WU, it might be a good idea if you use the machine crunching for anything else, to crunch the WU whilst sleeping or not surfing playing games ect. Also make sure that you turn off automatic connection, we don't want to flood Berkley with a previously completed WU.

As a double check this is the identification of the WU that need to be completed:-

09fe01aa.28488.19888.634652.144.

When the WU is completed please E-mail me the following details:_

CPU
clock MHZ
FSB and actual memory speed
RAM Including type and CAS
OS
CLI or Screensaver
Name you wish to be known by (email addresses kept confidential)
comments.
Please attach 'result.sah' from the completed unit as a zip or RAR.

*Edit* E-mail address is [email protected]

If you can think of anything else that should be included, please let me know

I am also going to make an announcement in GD about a new Benchmark Database. Hopefully this will encourage a few more Forum Members to our Seti cause.

Any chance of a sticky for this one Speedj or Thelemac?

The WU file is available for download below

Last edited:
i have a question....if we have already done a wu in the same angle range, and the same number of terraflops...couldent we just send you those results?

zangler said:
i have a question....if we have already done a wu in the same angle range, and the same number of terraflops...couldent we just send you those results?

No there is still differences in the Wu's that could effect the times. I post it on the web page as soon as I can I'm working 12 hour days so maybe saturday I only work 8 hours then :)

Thanks for the time you're taking for this Basher, and am waiting for the results to start rolling in. Do you think we ought to give TC a page or two of his own? LOL:D

zangler said:

Similar WU's can vary by quite a significant amount. Also by using the same WU for everyone, it can be checked against the reference unit for consistancy. This will in turn verify the accuracy of everyones results, a heavily overclocked machine CAN produce errors in Seti results. This way ensures a fair comparison of CPU ect:)

13oots2 said:
, and am waiting for the results to start rolling in.

I'm going to wait until bedtime to fire mine up. And do you want OC speeds too? I was thinking that this was going to be run at default. I'll run another tomorrow night at overclock if you want both.

Thanks for the WU 13oots2!! I'm running it as I speak.

For those few not using SETIDriver, here are the instructions for getting it to work:

1) Make a new directory and copy the SETI executable, SETISpy, and user_info.sah to it.
2) Run SETISpy, and set it up to run the client like normal. However, in the "client paramater(s)" section, put -stop_after_process to make SETI stop running after it is done processing.
3) Tell SETISpy to run the client, and go to bed (or however you want to let your pooter idle).
4) When SETI is done, SETISpy will be it's familiar yellow "idle client" color. Go into the directory, and send 13oots2 the result.sah file. Also, upload your data on the WU that the SETISpy log collected.

Hope this helps out the few not using Driver!
JigPu

I think tat the procedure that JigPu outlined above is better, as it protect your actual configuration of the SETIDriver. I'm not worried about anyone here in this forum, but there are some guys that could drop here just to benchmark their system. If someone can do it with an executable that would speed up everything.

The exe file could unzip SETISpy, clc and the WU in a new folder and start the crunching......a finishing program could be developed that zips the result.sah and SETISpy.log into a neat package that could be easily mailed to 12oots2.

What do you think?

Thankyou JigPu, I am only familiar with Seti Driver. If people want to include the log from Seti Spy it will save me some calculator work. It was interesting to note, that the times reported in Seti Spy Log can differ by a small amount, compared with the result.sah file. I will be using the time that would be reported back to Berkley.

I am accepting the WU completed from machines overclocked or just standard. All that I ask is the machine is 100% stable, I will be checking all the results for any variance in results. I will wait for about ten results to come in, then compare them against each other. For all I know, my results could be wrong, but I am sure they are not. It would not be fair to just use one result as the standard by which the others are judged.

Another question, would Team Members prefer the times expressed as a decimal, as in Seti Spy or in HH:MM:SS?

I'd prefer decimal.

I also *really* like Mictlan's idea about the executable. That is a *great* idea to make it easy for everybody to be able to do this without a problem. I think that ultimately it would be a good idea to have an automatic submission program on the website...though I don't think that would be the easiest thing in the world to setup. It would be pretty sweet though. :)

Another possibility with the executable in mind is to have one for benchmarking and one for stability testing. The testing one would compare your result with the correct one and tell you if it's off. That would probably be pretty easy to write, actually. :)

I was thinking the exact same thing while setting up my benchmark... It should be fairly simple to set up, I think. Stick in SETI, SETISpy, SETISpy.ini (that way it's already pre-customized to hide the client and such), work_unit.sah, and a batch file to copy over the user's existing user_info.sah file to the new directory all in one zip file.

Well, only 16 more hours to go till the benchmark finishes... :)
JigPu

I don't really see a need for any third party programs in this. Just the client, WU, and correct result (for stability testing)...probably a Userinfo file with a dummy account or something, too. Then just write a program/batch file that extracts the stuff and runs it without letting it transmit. Then at the end it can compre the result with the correct result and tell the user if it matches or not. Easy. :)

Have a problem. My work unit name doesn't match up with the name shown above. Anyone else have this problem or am I a moron?

EDIT: Doh! I recopied it and now it's right. I guess I am a moron. :p

Last edited:
lonewolf1983 said:
can i just grab the WU,put it with setispy
crunch it,and send back the results.sah and setispy.log
with my info?

Sorry about the delay in replying, if you are caching WU's you will lose a downloaded WU by loading in the benchmark file, unless you set-up a second Seti directory. This way ensures that even if you have problems, your original Seti directory is SAFE. I feel guilty enough as it is, as everyone partaking is returning a WU without credit. I don't want anyones Seti directory messed up, better safe than sorry:)

I've got the wu. Anyone care to spoon feed me on how to do it for my setup? I've got the screen saver running with SETI Monitor to cache wu's. I'll dope it out myself if I have too but you know my take on thinking (it causes cancer).

eobard said:
I've got the wu. Anyone care to spoon feed me on how to do it for my setup? I've got the screen saver running with SETI Monitor to cache wu's. I'll dope it out myself if I have too but you know my take on thinking (it causes cancer).

This is what I did (and I think the same could be done with any setup):

Entered My Computer. Went to S@H folder (my case Program Files/SETI@home folder). Actually on folder above so that I can see the SETI@home folder. Right click. Select Copy.

File. New > Folder. Named as SETI REAL. Double clicked SETI REAL. Edit > Paste. (I actually did this twice for two backups.)

Back. Enter SETI@home folder (original). Deleted all cached folders/files except 1 (had to get the ones in SETI's root, too). Followed above directions for deleting and pasting. Restarted client.

When done processing, zip and backup result file(s) to another folder. Delete original S@H client directory. Create a new directory named as original. Copy the backup back into it and voila! Everything is happy again (if I haven't forgotten to include a step).

Of course, all this is done with the client off. I doubt it would be very happy moving its files around while it's alive.

There's a lot of *.sah files here in my directories, which ones do I delete if I'm using the screen saver with SETI Monitor? I don't want to have to take a blind stab at this and try it 3 times before getting it right, that'd waste too much time that I could be crunching for E.T.

Am still working on the WU as per my PM, looks like completion is going to be 4x longer than with the CLC for me. Thats about 20Hrs:eek:

Make sure you've set it to run with a blank screen instead of the colorful screen saver thingie. That should cut a huge amount of time off. I did a reinstall on my system and forgot to set it up like that 80% of my first wu after the reinstall too something like 16 hours, once I realized my mistake and changed it the last 20% took only 2 hours.

Back