• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Arctic Silver 5 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raytheon

Registered
I've had an arctic silver 5 thermal compound for 6 months in the closet, that I used for a build back in August, and my question is if it will still work?

Also, can somebody direct me to a guide(video preferably) on how to install an AM2 Athlon 64 x2 stock retail HSF?

Thanks

It's been in they plastic bag it came in, and with the lid on all the time, so it should be fine then?

I've used the same tube for years, it'll work just fine. Only thing to worry about is separation. When you open it you may notice a bit of oil drip out. I usually dab a little on a rag before I put it on the cpu to make sure.

Well to get the best results from AS5. From there website the say to only put about a 3/4's of a rice grain size line on the middle of the CPU(where 99% of the heat is). Do not spread it out with a CC or your finger. Then just apply the HSF or Water block and clamp down. I did that method after my first time where i spread a very thin layer over the entire top of the CPU and i gained 5c-7c just by the correct application of AS5. You need instruction on any thing else? The CPU has a goldish triangle on one corner, that corner goes into the corner of the socket where there is a triangle also. the the HSF only can go on one way. If it is a new HSF clean off the thermal compound on the bottom of it with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball, then dry. Then install.

I keep mine in the fridge. Remember reading somewhere that keeping it cool reduced the breakdown of the paste or something like that. However have also left them out and never had an issue with it going bad.

I dont like the dallop method and have never seen any difference in temp from the dallop and spread method on an IHS.

Back