• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5W DH SATA RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueaura

Registered
I'm new to OC Forums so I first want to say hello. Secondly I have a bit of a problem which I hope you guys can help.

I have recently been having problems with my graphics card which I have sent of for testing, although yesterday the lab I sent it to confirmed to problem was not with the graphics card which leads me to thinking the problem must be my motherboard somewhere.

I have an Asus P5W DH motherboard powering my E6300 Core2Duo. The set up has 4 SATA hard drives using the boards Silicone Image hardware RAID as RAID-0 on two drives and the boards Intel Matrix software RAID on two drives as RAID-1.

The problem I face is moving my RAID set-up over to a new motherboard mainly with my two RAID-1 drives. Will I be able to set up the new board on the RAID-0 drives and then be able to plug both RAID-1 drives into the new motherboard without having to format them or corrupt the array, keeping the data they hold?

Any ideas?

Also for a E6300 is it worth replacing my poorly overclocking P5W DH with a nVidia 680i board or an Intel 965?

Last edited:
First of all, Wellcome to OcF ! :)

Assuming you're moving to same ICH8R or same as current ICH7R, then your Raid 1 will survive, check the storage section as many have done that including my self. Dunno about that Silicon Image ?

Just wondering, why use the Silicon Image as raid controller ? Intel Matrix controller is far superior and it can accomodate both raid volumes (0 and 1).

Blueaura said:
The Silicon Image is hardware RAID, so linux will run without messing my array up with dmraid ;) One being advantage that drew me to the P5W in the first place.

One click -> here :D

But since you're on linux, guess ICHxR raid is not a good choice since Intel doesn't support them ! :rolleyes:

bing said:
One click -> here :D

But since you're on linux, guess ICHxR raid is not a good choice since Intel doesn't support them ! :rolleyes:

Actually no, it's the Silicon Image 4723 Hardware RAID controller ;) look here

ICH7R/8R are both fully linux compatible but as with any software RAID controllers they only fool windows into thinking it is a RAID array, not linux. So when you set it up in linux you need to use the dmraid software to build the array. ;)

Back to the 680i dilemma...

Back