• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I almost cried tonight!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froggy

So let me set the stage for you.

You are playing your favorite online FPS game having a decent night enjoying your just purchased Ati X1900XT 512 off the classifieds a mere week ago. Your in the middle of a rush when out past the realm of your headphones and the netherworld of CS you hear a clunking sound. The sound perturbs you because it sure sounded like it came from your PC, but you have a Wife and 5 children so you choose to disregard it as just another random noise that is so common in your home.

So back to the game, as you round the corner to take on your 1st wave of opponents the unthinkable happens. Your screen gets all blocky with random colors and your PC crashes. You panic, you jump up and run to the light switch and that's when you notice an unpleasant odor. Not a burning electrical smell, but a bad odor nonetheless. So you open the side of your case and you discover this scene laid out before you-

Accelero%20X2%20Failure%201.JPG

So by now your scared and ****ed and confused. So quickly you turn off your PC and do damage assessment. You realize that the cooler has fallen off the video card because it got so damn hot the solder meted and thats A LOT of solder. So you take out the video card and fearfully remove the cooler plate and determine that it looks like you might be ok. So with trepidation you clean up the core and give it a fresh coat of AS5 and attach to the MCW60 that it still part of the loop that a 7900GT used to mated to it. And you reboot your PC and proceed straight to ocforums to tell your tale.

What a crazy turn of events for me. What may have been my saving grace is that my FPS game of choice is CS:CZ which is an older game and has such low GFX needs that I had turned the core clock down to 500Mhz and subsequently was able to turn the core voltage all the way down to 1.075V. The funny part is the ATiTool profile I had loaded was set to turn the fan to 100% so I have no clue how it happened. The night before after playing CS:CZ the core temp never went above 56C which is AWESOME for an X2 on an 1900XT which I attributed that temp to the very low core voltage.

Accelero%20X2%20Failure%202.JPG

Accelero%20X2%20Failure%203.JPG

Accelero%20X2%20Failure%204.JPG

Accelero%20X2%20Failure%205.JPG

wow your lucky, glad its ok.

I loved my x1900xt 512 so much, i kept it 11months, the longest i have ever hung onto any piece of hardware, second being my 2.8ghz 165 opty that stayed with my like 7 months.

Wowzers! That's is crazy. Did the fan stop on the thing or something? Just trying to figure out how it got hot enough to melt the solder??

Cool that it didn't kill the card :) (didn't hurt that LCD did it? :D)

jivetrky said:
Wowzers! That's is crazy. Did the fan stop on the thing or something? Just trying to figure out how it got hot enough to melt the solder??

Cool that it didn't kill the card :) (didn't hurt that LCD did it? :D)

Either the fan failed or ATiTool lied to me about setting the fan 100%. Either way it's on a water now and is running 38C loaded in CS:CZ with that low core voltage. And other than the LCD being at fault for needing a video card with 512 RAM(I got a 1.1ns too) it is fine Mr. Jive!

Edit: I just plugged the fan into the video card cooler and it works so I guess ATiTool failed me some how.

Funny how nV fans are flaming the card when it was obviously a cooling failure.
The card is still alive and 0wning.(the rival D3D_9c lineup) :attn:

I have only seen then happen once before, with my ghetto-cooled P-II... the fan blew into pieces with a loud clunk and a few mins later... the heatsink melted into pieces... all over my mainboard. :cry:

Good thing the voltage was soo low at the time. :eek:

Damn, lucky guy :)

Glad everything turned out alright... that would be just enough to trigger heart failure for me.

~ Gos

Back