• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Socket Late 2008

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
Intel will next year begin shipping processors with a 1,366 pins, it has been claimed. The interface will use the same land grid array (LGA) as the chip giant's current LGA775 process, but with almost twice as many pins.

According to a report on Chinese-language site HKEPC, the interface will be called Socket B and ups the Voltage Regulator Module from version 11.0 to 11.1.

What could be leaked documentation suggests the LGA1366 is, initially at least, destined for Intel's 'Bloomfield' processor. That name first appeared back in December 2005 as a quad-core desktop chip due late 2008 and fabbed at 45nm.

The timeframe suggests it could be based on 'Nehalem', Intel's next-generation architecture due a year or so after the Core 2 Duo die-shrink, 'Penryn'.

The HKEPC report suggests it will contain 8-12MB of L2 cache and see the return of HyperThreading - presumably giving it the appearance of eight processors.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/02/intel_bloomfield_to_debut_lga1366/

Never ending stuff... Hmmm. 1366.... Interesting number. Same number for horizontal resolution for 720p. Just coincidental..

1366 x 720...

IAmMoen said:
its hard enough to bend pins back on a 939 proc let alone 1366. Yikes

LoL, how are you bending pins on the 939? Gotta stop stepping on the CPU's...

Thankfully enough, there aren't any pins on the 1366 or the 775 for you to bend.

The pins are on the socket...

Thats either going to equate to one heck of a large CPU, or even smaller/hard to see pins on the ZIF socket. Personally, i'm hoping for larger CPU die :)

~ Gos

Goshawk said:
Thats either going to equate to one heck of a large CPU, or even smaller/hard to see pins on the ZIF socket. Personally, i'm hoping for larger CPU die :)
Don't count on it.

As tech advances, CPU boards are going to get smaller and have more and more pins.
Pin modding in the near future is going to be really tough. Magnifying glass + steady hand, anyone?

IWasHungry said:
Don't count on it.

As tech advances, CPU boards are going to get smaller and have more and more pins.
Pin modding in the near future is going to be really tough. Magnifying glass + steady hand, anyone?
Are you a surgeon?
Have a microscope?
Then you too can pad mod!

:beer:

They definitely should have thrown an extra pin on so it would be 1337... haha.

Joeteck said:
Never ending stuff... Hmmm. 1366.... Interesting number. Same number for horizontal resolution for 720p. Just coincidental..

1366 x 720...

Actually its 1280x720 for HD res (1.77:1) The 1366 format is just to show off bigger numbers on those TV's.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
1366 + 1 = 1367. ;)
shhhh.

I'm not in school and I don't have a calculator. And I'm busy overclocking.

Okay, I'm out of excuses. :shrug:

Vulcan said:
shhhh.

I'm not in school and I don't have a calculator. And I'm busy overclocking.

Okay, I'm out of excuses. :shrug:

LOLOL well they should have really thought it out... i mean make their socket based around 1337 pins... just think of it... THE NEW INTEL 1337 SOCKET, PWNING UP THEM AMD *******....

amd boys... dont go crazy im not dissin u guys. :beer:

Yea I've seen this around a few times, Techreport had something about it a while ago. It should come out for Nehalem as stated and the suspicion is that the extra pins are to go along with the rumored on-die mem controller for that architecture.

start saving up guys lmfao late 08 thats like almost 2 years from now
lmfao now i could wait now to buy a new pc or in 2 years
=) the waiting game rocks ;(

Well that will be the next upgrade just hope that maybe the 45nm cores coming out later this year will still work on my board then I'll be good to go.

Back