• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, Need Advice and Suggestions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

Hey guys!

I'm pondering my first new build in a quite a while(for myself anyway). I need some advice on components as it's been a while since I've kept up with all the reviews and the nuances involved in achieving maximum performance in the A64 world (I've been running my Barton until now).

What I want is a good overclocking system. I'm happy to spend some cash on good quality parts but I'm not looking for the absolute best (and most expensive) of everything.

Here's what I've thought of so far:
1. AMD x2 3600+ Brisbane OEM
2. Tuniq Tower HSF
3. 2x1gb OCZ Gold XTC DDR800 CL5-5-5-12
4. DFI LanParty Mobo
5. EVGA 8800GTS 320MB 576mhz/1.7ghz
6. OCZ GameXStream 700w

1. Are 65nm equal or better overclockers than the 90nm? Should I spend a bit more money for a higher rated chip or will the 3600+ overclock well?

2. This seems like top dog right now as far as air goes. Plus it's just damn impressive looking.

3. There seems to be so much to consider with ram and this is where I'm really lost. I picked this OCZ because it looked pretty good for the price.(really high end RAM is way too much money). I really need some other suggestions to look at as well. Also does this ram overclock well?

4. I've always wanted to try out a DFI board. I've been having trouble finding an AM2 model that has all the bells and whistles but without SLI. (SLI adds a lot to the price and I don't plan on using it). Which model should I go for? I'm also open to suggestions of other manufacturer/models if there's something I'm missing.

5. I want a DirectX 10 card since I don't want to upgrade my video again for 2-3 years, so the 8800 seems to be the only choice at the moment. Which 8800 GTS (GTX is too much) should I go for? I have no idea which is the best bang for the buck.

6. Are these OCZ PSUs any good? I love Fortron/Sparkle but the Fortron 760w is $60 more than the OCZ (here in canada anyway).

Thank you!

Last edited:
If you want to OC i believe Core2Duo is the choice right now. Otherwise if you want AMD i've heard the 65nm clock better due to the lower heat.

Sounds like some solid choices. If you are going to be going to a DX10 video card anytime soon, and are planning to run SLI in the future, you might want to consider the OCZ GameXstream 850W unit. And yes the lower watt procs theoretically should OC better, with less heat.

Back