• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Memory Heatspreaders make a difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nTesla

Registered
I'm thinking of buying some standard DDR400 RAM, and I was wondering whether to buy some Heatspreaders to go with them or if they'll be a waste of time?

Well they perform like their name suggests, they spread the heat around. Downside is the heat is spread around the RAM, not away from it :) If you want cooling on your memory use actual heatsinks on the chips themselves or just put a fan blowing on them, or both.

I havn't run memory without heatspreaders in quite some time now. I just stick an 80mm fan I've got on top of the modules with some rubber bands.

inkfx said:
I havn't run memory without heatspreaders in quite some time now. I just stick an 80mm fan I've got on top of the modules with some rubber bands.
They are so commonplace now it really doesnt matter, if you want to cool your RAM best way is to blow air across them one way or another.

Many thanks for the replies. Seems a cmall fan is the way to go.

I wouldnt bother buying heatspreaders seperately, a low speed 80mm fan blowing down on the DIMMs is enough to keep them cool.

i have heard heat spreaders without good air flow is bad because the metal just retains the heat and keeps your ram warm....

Back