• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whatcha know about 70 deg idle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

My computer is running at 70 degrees C idle! (not really let me explain) I keep getting the infamous ABIT 2 toned siren because my temp sensor is reading between 70-80 degrees celcius. When I touch the heat sink, it warm, but not anywhere close to 70 degrees. I have re-seated the heatsink and re-aaplied thermal grease but to no avail. I am running the most current BIOS version. Are there any other things that would make the temp sensor think that its running about 40 degrees too hot? Its a AMD 64 280+ on an ABIT KV8 PRO board.
temps.jpg

Try using CoreTemp, I think your onboard sensor is just malfunctioning because the core measurement is 46C which is fine.

funnyperson1 said:
Try using CoreTemp, I think your onboard sensor is just malfunctioning because the core measurement is 46C which is fine.
i agree...try usin another temp. program see if the company has a core temp reader...something is really wrong there. 70c geeze my comp would have burnt out or lock up on me wit a bsod.

It's possible that the core Speedfan doesn't read is overheating. Coretemp will tell you that.

If it's the CPU temp sensor and you're still under warranty, I'd RMA. Besides the annoyance of the false alarms, there's the possibility that other bits will go south.

Outside chance it's a software issue. Try reinstalling speedfan and whatever temp monitor comes with Abit boards. And revert to an older version if this started happening after a recent upgrade.

speedfan is garbage imo, try using CoreTemp as it reads from the cpu's DTS. I think its an erroneous readout, it would crash at 70 degrees. AMD cpu's are only rated for a max 65 before they become unstable. I can verify this on more than one occassion with more than one AMD chip

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I believe the temp sensor is RIGHT BELOW the CPU...

You MAY be able to bend it up a bit... it may just not be close enough...

Take your CPU off and look INSIDE the socket (middle part where it's an open square)... it should be a little blue sensor sticking up... GENTLY lift up on it... that may not be the problem, but it's def a possibility...

If the temp sensor isn't making contact, wouldn't it read low instead of high? Seems unlikey the air behind the CPU would be 70C when all the other temps are reasonable.

Back