• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT54G Version 5 firmware install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

I am looking at a WRT54G for cheap on ebay and came across one for 25 bucks that is a Version 5. The guy says it is not working (with his comp), yet all the lights turn on on the router.

I doubt someone would give up so easilly like that, so my suspicion is that somehow he tried to install something like DD WRT even though it is a Version 5 and screwed up the firmware.

Either way, lets say I buy this router and all the lights and everything works, except lets say the firmware is completely screwed up, is it possible to completely redo the firmware to standard linksys stuff even if it is totally non-functional?

Well, alot of people are finding their power supplies are failing and dropping well under 5V. This allows it to appear functional, but it doesn't work. A cheap selectable DC adapter from Wal-Mart can solve that easily.

If it is a bricked router, then there is some success using various TFTP methods by shorting out the Intel chipset during a send session (if it has an Intel chipset). I don't know if this works for v5 or not since v5 doesn't support these firmwares anyway.

Interesting! Thanks for the reply. So, by powersupply do you mean something within the router, or the AC to DC power brick that is external?

I just wasn't sure, at first I was kinda under the impression that maybe getting the selectable one to turn up the DC power to compensate or something?

The external DC power supply. One of the selectable ones set to 5V (make sure the amperage is correct too, though) would be fine. The ones they come with are of poor quality and are, at times, barely supplying 4.5V+.

Jon said:
The external DC power supply. One of the selectable ones set to 5V (make sure the amperage is correct too, though) would be fine. The ones they come with are of poor quality and are, at times, barely supplying 4.5V+.

Awsome, thanks for the info! I think I might go ahead and bit on it and give it a try then. If worse comes to worse I suppose I could just sell it again without loosing too much.

If it is a firmware issue is it possible to completely reflash the firmware though?

The pre-v5 have a very high success rate of reflash success, but I don't know about the bricked v5. Since they don't support the same modifications, I don't know how or if it can be fixed or not. I've not looked to see what type of chipset it runs on. I just know the Intels are near 100%.

Jon said:
The pre-v5 have a very high success rate of reflash success, but I don't know about the bricked v5. Since they don't support the same modifications, I don't know how or if it can be fixed or not. I've not looked to see what type of chipset it runs on. I just know the Intels are near 100%.

Ok, sweet well thats for the info. I kinda changed my mind, instead of risking it buying a version 5 that may not work, I think I am just going to save my pennies and look for a fully functional version 4 or older that I know works. That 5volt thing is very good to know though for future reference! :thup:

Yeah. I was going to say don't bother on a non-Linux version but I guess you already came to that conclusion.

My v1.0 G died the other day, so I went out and bought a new GL.

Yea, I decided not to. Just curious, I just bid on a WRT54G Version 4, but it has speedbooster, so I assume it is a WRT54GS V4? These are still the linux version and can have the upgraded firmware right?

you can use DD-WRT with the WRT54G v5, I know because I own two version 5 routers and I've flashed both of them to DD-WRT.

iirc, they have a special firmware for the v5 because it has 2mb of memory instead of 4mb like the ones before it. i can't double check that on the site right now cause i'm at work.

@md0Cer said:
Yea, I decided not to. Just curious, I just bid on a WRT54G Version 4, but it has speedbooster, so I assume it is a WRT54GS V4? These are still the linux version and can have the upgraded firmware right?
Yup. In fact I believe it is exactly the same hardware as the WRT54G v4. Speedbooster is just disabled in firmware on the non-S one.

I have dd-wrt on version 2 and a version 6 backup router with the smaller ddwrt image, its a little bit harder to get the new ones flashed but they can be TFTP if they are working properly.

I am thinking of putting DD-WRT generic micro on my WRT54G v6 tomorrow. I have already reviewed the guide to flashing with the kill vxworks and all and see it will require a bit of work.

I have a couple questions however, does generic micro run PPPOE? and what are the chances of bricking my router assuming I follow the guide exactly and dont have any freak blackouts :p ?

Skeith said:
I am thinking of putting DD-WRT generic micro on my WRT54G v6 tomorrow. I have already reviewed the guide to flashing with the kill vxworks and all and see it will require a bit of work.

I have a couple questions however, does generic micro run PPPOE? and what are the chances of bricking my router assuming I follow the guide exactly and dont have any freak blackouts :p ?

I have dd-wrt micro on my version 6. It's pretty easy to do the reflash. Just follow the directions precisely. As for PPPoE--

pppoe.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note::: I believe the power supplies to the WRT54G's are 12vdc not 5 volts.

Z

Back