• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend an external HDD enclosure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I have a couple of SATA HDDs that I want to put into some external HDD enclosures. I want store music, video, and other files on them so that I can transport files from one computer to another easily and safely.

I have seen enclosures that come with no cooling. It is this a good idea? I would think that the HDDs would get a little hot if they're stuck in a tight enclosure with no airflow.

Oh, and preferably the enclosure would include both eSATA and Firewire B hookups.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Well to be honest, I've only barely used external drives before, and I was just accessing small files. I'm just wondering if there will be much of a performance hit from USB 2.0 compared to eSATA. For the most part, I will keep a lot of my video files and music on the external drive, so I want it to be fast. If there difference isn't very much, then I think I will settle for USB or Firewire.

I really don't know how good USB would be for video streaming (I haven't tried it), but FWIW:

USB
usbwq0.png

eSATA
esatatu1.png

I don't really see the need for E sata, firewire, and USB2 on the same external box. There isn't that much difference between firewire and USB2 any more. Now E sata is a whole other ballgame.

That is a real nice enclosure though. I might have get one. :)

Back