• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet connection fails

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Povar81

Registered
I've got this problem recently (a couple of weeks ago): internet connection suddenly disappears until I turn off and on ADSL modem again. The modem is connected to switch and then the cable goes to PCs, located in the other rooms.
I scanned the PCs for viruses, found and removed some, but still the connection fails suddenly.
Please help!:confused:

I've got DLink DI704P Ethernet Broadband Router and DSL-500T modem, but the local network works fine, I can ping any PC and reply is constatly stable.

Last edited:
I will say is a router problem as I have a similar problem with my Belkin(read to see what happens when u have a bad router). Also it is recommended that you read some reviews for that router. Also check this and this for info. on good cheap routers.

So you think it's the switch, not the modem? Then I could try another brand-new Canyon CN-D05P Ethernet Switch right now.

If you're providing the Internet via router to several PCs, then replacing the router with a switch will not solve your problem unless you have multiple IPs assigned by your ISP.

You will need to try another router if using NAT.

Are you doing any heavy transfers of files over the Internet, such as P2P, torrents, MP3 downloads, etc?

I've read the info on Belkin - it sounds much the same, and the opinions about the DLink router: it may be due to overheating, my mini-switch didn't work, so I'll have to find another one to try...

Jon said:
If you're providing the Internet via router to several PCs, then replacing the router with a switch will not solve your problem unless you have multiple IPs assigned by your ISP.
You will need to try another router if using NAT.
Are you doing any heavy transfers of files over the Internet, such as P2P, torrents, MP3 downloads, etc?
No, there are no really HEAVY trasfers, though sometimes people dowload music\videos - not too much or too often, I often download software - not too heavy as well.

But what about the modem? Maybe I should change it too? How can I test it, I just don't wanna waste the money, if the problem's not with modem\router.

talk to your ISP and ask them to replace your modem first to see if that helps. I had problems similar due to a flakey modem. As long as your ISP isnt one of the greedy ones that charges for the modems, they will replace it no problem, you will just have to wait for an appointment date. (couple days usualy) try that first since it will (should) cost you nothing, then try working out other culprits such as your router.

Skeith said:
talk to your ISP and ask them to replace your modem first to see if that helps. I had problems similar due to a flakey modem. As long as your ISP isnt one of the greedy ones that charges for the modems, they will replace it no problem, you will just have to wait for an appointment date. (couple days usualy) try that first since it will (should) cost you nothing, then try working out other culprits such as your router.

Thanks, I did it exactly this way, a man from my ISP came even sooner than I expected and replaced the modem (and took the router away too). Now it works great! I also changed its location - now the modem is in a special box with the other switches.
Thank you all, people!

Unfortunately, the problem's repeating now time after time with another modem, provided by my ISP - Zyxel Prestige, they told me to phone them at the time of next failure.

Povar81 said:
Unfortunately, the problem's repeating now time after time with another modem, provided by my ISP - Zyxel Prestige, they told me to phone them at the time of next failure.

Give them a call, I've had no problems with my Zyxel Prestige....

Back