• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yay! I finally got one (WRT54Gv2) time for DD-WRT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Well, as you can see I tried to bid on two different routers here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=504665

3rd time's the charm apparently, I won the bid on a WRT54G Version 2 by one pennie.

Now that I have this router, I am thinking of doing a firmware upgrade to DD-WRT.

I am not sure I completely understand the risks, I assume the term "bricking" your router probably means it is non-salvageable and you might as well use it as a door stop?

If I do DD-WRT, what are the risks that something could go wrong and completely screw up my router to this extent and what type of things would cause this to happen?

If it is fairly risky I will probably hold off considering I don't want to turn my brand new router into a piece of crap right after buying it.

its fairly easy if you follow the directions on dd-wrt's site. I have done it many times to my WRT54GL (rebadged WRT54G V4). But im waiting for a new version because i have problems with portforwarding on my router with dd-wrt. When forwarding a port the first packet of data that flows over that forwarded port cause the router to todally freeze, thus needing to be powered down, and repowered. But there rnt n e one else with this problem so its just my hardware.

But all in all dd-wrt is very easy, and REALLY GOOD!

there is a way to unbrick it by powering up whilist shorting out 2 pins on the main chip, but i highly doubt your going to brick it, just follow directions and ur good.

I use DDWRT and i rather like it. Its very stable. I would suggest when you do this upgrade you fololow the instructions to the letter. e very careful and precise and youll be fine. Once setup youll find lots of lovely new features your router is capable. Sweet firmware. I love it

Z

Well I decided to play too. Just installed 2.3 SP2 on my Version 2.0 WRT54G. So far I'm extremely pleased with the results. Functionality is on par with the Smoothwall Express 2.0 machine I just put together. Infact, the DD-WRT firmware may be even more capable. Now I need to re-setup my test network to give it a thorough lashing!

Of course you need the proper testing environment :)

http://thepcguy.myvnc.com/jim/DD-WRT

:)
- Jim

Last edited:
Zuzzz said:
I use DDWRT and i rather like it. Its very stable. I would suggest when you do this upgrade you fololow the instructions to the letter. e very careful and precise and youll be fine. Once setup youll find lots of lovely new features your router is capable. Sweet firmware. I love it

Z

same one i run.

never used the full version, my router only supports micro

I was looking over the DD-WRT wiki and found a hardware specific guide, however it only covered the version 4 or later. I assume then that those hardware specific guides are only for something special other than the general instructions and I should just follow those general instructions to the tee since I have a version 2 and there is no hardware specific guide on that?

I am just scared ****less of bricking my brand new used router.

Oh, also incase that happens, I have been searching for guides and writeups on unbricking them but I haven't really found anything for the WRT54G, does anyone know of any?

The instructions are a bit hard to follow, but basically (for my model, version 2), I had to install the mini firmware which erases the imposed firmware size limit from Linksys. Then you can choose to use whatever specific install you want of 2.3. I chose standard because I don't use VOIP, or VPN.

- Jim

Just follow the instructions as listed, it's pretty easy. No need to worry about bricking your router unless you don't follow directions.

Personally I don't care for dd-wrt and I go for hyperwrt + thibor 15c. It's more closely related to the original firmware but has all the extra features.

schnikies79 said:
Just follow the instructions as listed, it's pretty easy. No need to worry about bricking your router unless you don't follow directions.

Personally I don't care for dd-wrt and I go for hyperwrt + thibor 15c. It's more closely related to the original firmware but has all the extra features.

That's what I use, except the older +tofu . I'd upgrade it, but I've really not seen the need for anything new. I didn't care much for DD-WRT the short time I had it installed.

Wow. Right about now I feel like throwing away all my computer parts and buying a gateway with AOL on it. I bricked it. :cry: :mad:

Ok, so the install of mini went fine, installed standard, everything was great. I was configuring my options and everything, then I saw the option in there to O/C the CPU and I remember reading in the chart it said that 216Mhz was a doable O/C on these routers. So I did that. Now I get absolutely nothing and the power light wont stop flashing.

I tried holding reset for 30 seconds. Nothing.

I tried holding reset, unplugging power for 30 seconds while holding it, plugging power back in and waiting another 30 seconds while still holding reset. Nope, nothing.

Anyone have any ideas or did I just throw 50 bucks down the toilet within 5 minutes of a successful DD-WRT install?

EDIT: Nevermind, I am a retard, it works now. :D

Haha, Glad you recovered.

I didn't even try playing with overclocking. I know I know, we're on an overclocking website, but overclocking a router, nope.

- Jim

ThePCGuy said:
Haha, Glad you recovered.

I didn't even try playing with overclocking. I know I know, we're on an overclocking website, but overclocking a router, nope.

- Jim

Yea, I wouldn't recommend it, I thought I bricked it.

Anyway, all is well except for the fact that with the DD-WRT firmware, the DHCP server assigns my computer .109 and my server .117. It says to start from .100 in the settings, why isn't it starting from .100? This thing is annoying me, I was able to trick the linksys firmware and my old D-link into resetting them to .100 and .101, but this damn thing keeps insisting my comp be .109 and my server .117!

Anyway, thanks a bunch for all the help and advice you all have given me so far.

ThePCGuy said:
Well I decided to play too. Just installed 2.3 SP2 on my Version 2.0 WRT54G. So far I'm extremely pleased with the results. Functionality is on par with the Smoothwall Express 2.0 machine I just put together. Infact, the DD-WRT firmware may be even more capable. Now I need to re-setup my test network to give it a thorough lashing!

Of course you need the proper testing environment :)

http://thepcguy.myvnc.com/jim/DD-WRT

:)
- Jim

DD-WRT+Jones Soda+OCforums= Uber goodness!!!

@md0Cer said:
Yea, I wouldn't recommend it, I thought I bricked it.

Anyway, all is well except for the fact that with the DD-WRT firmware, the DHCP server assigns my computer .109 and my server .117. It says to start from .100 in the settings, why isn't it starting from .100? This thing is annoying me, I was able to trick the linksys firmware and my old D-link into resetting them to .100 and .101, but this damn thing keeps insisting my comp be .109 and my server .117!

Anyway, thanks a bunch for all the help and advice you all have given me so far.

You could just set static IPs. I have static IPs set in DD-WRT for my HTPC and file server.

Dermen said:
You could just set static IPs. I have static IPs set in DD-WRT for my HTPC and file server.

There is a way to do this in DD-WRT? I thought the only way was to manually configure it in windows, which can be a total pain in the @$$.

Back