Registered

e4300 and Cooling

Using the stock cooling fan on my e4300, GA-965P-DS3, I had core readings in the 30's at idle. Since I was planning to overclock I bought a Thermaltake Silent 775 to improve the cooling using arctic silver. The temperatures for the two cores went up into the 40's. While playing an online game it was around 58. My clock speed is at 2250 mhz. Right now at idle according to SF my temps are:

Temp 1 37
    Temp 2 35
    Temp 3 -2
    Core 0 43
    Core 1 43

Are these normal when my stock cooling fan had lower temps? If I was to over clock to at least 3.0 will my temps get way to high?

BTW, this is all new to me.

Thanks

10 Year Badge
    Hey to ocf. You must have done something wrong. your temps shoudlnt have increased like that..... try taking it off and putting it back on. Apply only a grain size of thermal paste! try using http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    HeatWare <--Coretemp Slave tester!!!!-->
    Have one on the house.
    "Its prefectly good minus all the bad stuff"
    -Ben333

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by imposter
    Hey to ocf. You must have done something wrong. your temps shoudlnt have increased like that..... try taking it off and putting it back on. Apply only a grain size of thermal paste! try using http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    I followed the online instructions for the ASilver and it said to lay a thin bead the length of the processor, slightly in from the top and the bottom. A guy at the store said to use about the size of a grain of rice. Was I dumb enough to follow the instructions from the makes of ASelver?

Can to much cause heating problems?

Thanks

10 Year Badge
    i wouldn't say 10 degree difference but you can try reseting the heating sink or find a super fan and place it right on your heatsink it could just the fan is running slow because it wants to be silent. hence the name Thermaltake "Silent" 775
    HeatWare <--Coretemp Slave tester!!!!-->
    Have one on the house.
    "Its prefectly good minus all the bad stuff"
    -Ben333

Registered
    Im beginning to think I need to return this to the store and find something better. I dont really care about being silent, I want cooler temps and this isnt doing it at all. I am not comfortable overclocking with this thing and what it is not doing.

Registered
    Well I am sure this makes sense to someone. I put the ASilver on the CPU as described by their web site and got the temperatures that I posted earlier. After reading what imposter wrote I took it all apart and put the ASilver on, about the size of a grain of rice, maybe slightly bigger.
    This is what my temps are according to SpeedFan as I am typing this. About 10 degrees difference. If this is normal and what I should be getting I will start the OCing tomorrow.

Temp 1 35c
    Temp 2 22c
    Temp 3 -2
    Core 0 31
    Core 1 33

Thanks for the input.

Destroyer of Empires and User Accounts, El Huginator
    Premium Member #3
    First Responders
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    That could also have been cause by one of the pegs not being in all the way, which would cause only part of the cpu to be cooled.
    Desktop: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H | 3570k | 32 GB | GTX 770 Classified | 1 TB Samsung Evo & 2 TB HDD | Windows 3.1 | 4x 2560x1400 Monitors
    VM Server 1: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM | 8x 300 GB Savvio | IBM M1015 | 34 TB Raw disk | XenServer
    VM Server 2: Dell R710 | 2x L5630 | 96 GB RAM |
    8x 300 GB Savvio | XenServer
    Router: Dell R410 | E5620 | 32 GB RAM | 3x 300 GB | pfsense
    "That's not overkill, or a lot. That's just thiderastic." -txus.palacios
    "Clouds are silent, cold, and wet. Servers are none of these things." -Bobnova

Current projects: Rackmount Overkill (New) | Little Overkill (New)
    Articles: Rack Mounting 101 | Dell Perc 5/i Throughput Benchmarks
    My Website

Want to talk directly to all the moderators at once? Call the Mod Hotline!

Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by M36
    Well I am sure this makes sense to someone. I put the ASilver on the CPU as described by their web site and got the temperatures that I posted earlier. After reading what imposter wrote I took it all apart and put the ASilver on, about the size of a grain of rice, maybe slightly bigger.
    This is what my temps are according to SpeedFan as I am typing this. About 10 degrees difference. If this is normal and what I should be getting I will start the OCing tomorrow.

Temp 1 35c
    Temp 2 22c
    Temp 3 -2
    Core 0 31
    Core 1 33

Thanks for the input.
    those are alot better, what kind of fan are you using on this cooler now? a better fan with more CFM will help alot for load temps and idle if fan you have now isnt so great
    Corsair H80
    i5 4670K 4.5Ghz 1.26v
    Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-1600 1.50v
    Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H F10
    Evga GTX 770 4GB | SamSung Evo 120GB SSD
    Evga 850W G2 | Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Beyerdynamic DT-990 | Asus VG248QE 144Hz
    SteelSeries Rival | Razer BlackWidow Ultimate | Corsair 760T
    Windows 8.1 Update 1 64-Bit

Registered
    The 90mm fan that came with the everything else. There are holes for a larger diameter fan that I may go to.

Thanks