• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RPG games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does Neverwinter Nights, the original, still have a large multiplayer base? Thinking about reinstalling it, I've been super bored lately. :|

Oh, and IMHO Morrowind > thank Oblivion! The journal system is really the only thing that could annoy you, but it's easy enough as long as you don't take too many quests on at one time. Don't forget to purchase the expansions packs, especially Bloodmoon, as becoming a Werewolf is sooo cool!

Im a big DnD fan so NEverwinter Nights and NWN 2 are high on my list

Oblivion is good also.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is good, make sure you patch it though. Official patch stops at 1.2 and unofficial at 3.5 I think.

Oblivion lacked any real story. It was like an MMO with out other people. No matter what I did nothing seem to change, people reacted the same ext.

Gothic 3 had a little more in the way of story line. It was a little rougher around the edges but I had no real probley with it.

Neverwinter Nights 2 had an ok story line. It was fun and has multiplayer.

Jade empire (pc) had a good story line. Lots of chooses that effect your relationships with npcs and in the end there story line. It it ok for a reply to see your diffrent pathes but no mutiplayer. Good voice acting.

I been reading about a game called Dawnspire that sounds intresting. It's an rpg that allows group play like NWN2. I can speak of it first hand.

Silverfall. I really didn't like the graphics of this game. I only played it for a little while before uninstalling it and giving it to a friend. The game seems to have a good depth of storyline if you like the comic book graphics and can get around the awful camera view.

SpellForce 2 it is more a RTS but it has many RPG elements to it. You build up your heros in how you choose to, do quests, get items and equipment ext ext. It's the best of both worlds with a good storyline.

Titan Quest was ok. I'm not a fan of the Diabloish games mostly becomes it's more hack and slash botton mashing then anything. The story line was simulate to other games like it.

Night Watch, I am a fan of the movies. Good story line, good charactor building. The game is a turn based stradagy/rpg. there is a demo tha tlets you play the first few levels.

Thats all I can think of at the moment

deRusett said:
So am I reading that I should try Morrowind over Obilvion?

Morrowind have the same amount of user Mods as Oblivion, all I am finding tonight are really interesting user mods, and user created "bug" fixes. Morrowind have that kinda following?

Out of the box I prefer Morrowind, but if you get the expansions and install the huge mod Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul, it remedies many of Oblivion's faults, and coupled with the extra content, vastly better gfx and sound, and better player interaction I would say it makes Oblivion the better game.

Planescape Torment despite being old and 2D is one of the best RPGs in existence.

I am really not trying to be rude here but how can anyone recommend Obilvion as a game with a good strong story line.

Story line was the one thing it lacked. The main story line was so short and lacked originality. The side quest are fun and have there own short story line

rainless said:
Could you name some PS1 RPGs? I never had a PS1...

Well theres FFVII,VII and IV
Chrono Cross
Legend of Legaia
Havest moon
Vagrant Story
Legend of Legaia
The Legend of Dragoon
Xenogears(best storyline by far)
Grandia(I like Grandia 2 better)
Persona 1 and 2
Alundra 1 and 2
Wild arms
Star Ocean
Diablo
Threads of Fate
Jade Cocoon
Suikoden
Thousand Arms(very underrated many people thought it was sequal to wild arms and were disappoint that it wasnt)
Azure Dreams(One of my all time favorites.)
Guardian's Crusade (underrated people thought "Babe" was two childish.)
SaGa Frontier
The Granstream Saga(short game but very good grafics for playstation.)
Darkstone(like Diablo 2 before there was a Diablo 2.)
Lunar

The list keeps going these are just ones that stand out for me.

Neur0mancer said:
Im a big DnD fan so NEverwinter Nights and NWN 2 are high on my list

Oblivion is good also.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is good, make sure you patch it though. Official patch stops at 1.2 and unofficial at 3.5 I think.
Vampire Bloodlines is an excellent game! I would recommend it as well, as long as you get it patched up.

Ok Oblivion is installing now, didn't get any of the expansion packs yet, probably next week if I get into the game, can't let the wife realize this is a different game then Gothic 3 ;)
I'm suppose to be Tux shopping

I would grab Morrowind too. GoTY edition is what, $30? Comes with both expansions. Plus it's really a great game.

DarkVirusVx said:
I am really not trying to be rude here but how can anyone recommend Obilvion as a game with a good strong story line.

Story line was the one thing it lacked. The main story line was so short and lacked originality. The side quest are fun and have there own short story line

Well theres FFVII,VII and IV
Chrono Cross
Legend of Legaia
Havest moon
Vagrant Story
Legend of Legaia
The Legend of Dragoon
Xenogears(best storyline by far)
Grandia(I like Grandia 2 better)
Persona 1 and 2
Alundra 1 and 2
Wild arms
Star Ocean
Diablo
Threads of Fate
Jade Cocoon
Suikoden
Thousand Arms(very underrated many people thought it was sequal to wild arms and were disappoint that it wasnt)
Azure Dreams(One of my all time favorites.)
Guardian's Crusade (underrated people thought "Babe" was two childish.)
SaGa Frontier
The Granstream Saga(short game but very good grafics for playstation.)
Darkstone(like Diablo 2 before there was a Diablo 2.)
Lunar

The list keeps going these are just ones that stand out for me.
Forgot Final Fantasy Tactics! Best PS1 game. It's being remade for the PSP pretty soon, by the way.

Fable rawks, can't wait for the sequel, on PC! Also, I really liked Knights of the Old Republic 1&2.

Massively absurd huge, maintained list of Morrowind mods. Telesphoros' List o'Mods is probably the best starting place, since all the stuff on that list has been tested by the list creater.

For Oblivion, thisis the only up to date list I have (I haven't been watching the community for about half a year, so I only have old bookmarks to check on, and that's the only list that survived those six months =P)
Oh yeah, don't forget to check TOTO for even more eyecandy of doom :D

As for a modding comparision, Oblivion only has had about a year, so not as many "robust" mods as Morrowind, which is now at a point (especially since it's old) where pretty much any mod can be made, since the user tools have advanced much further than with Oblivion (which will reach that point in a few years :))

Elif Tymes said:
I would grab Morrowind too. GoTY edition is what, $30? Comes with both expansions. Plus it's really a great game.

Was going to pick it up but it was not in the EB I went to

as for Obivion, I found so far the first 30 minutes just stupidly borning, and quickly learned one can not just pick up everything they see, I got weighed down quite a bit.

I'm trying to get my bearings in the town right now, not sure I am a fan of the fighting style yet, got to get used to it I think. game moves slow at the start, hopefully once I get out and start fighting creatures things will get more entertaining,

I've found that the biggest hurdle for people enjoying Oblivion or Morrowind is whether the player is able to develop a comfort level with the game. If they get to where they feel like they know what they want to do, where they can go, know the surroundings, how to develop their character, how to handle the many story lines, how to fight, and even happy enough with how the game runs on their hardware, then they frequently get sucked in to the massive freedom, huge scope, and diverse possibility of the game. In other games, rigidly linear story lines will define progression in the game and pull the players interest through while such comfort levels develop. This also simplifies a game so much that it is much easier to become comfortable. Oblivion and Morrowind do not really have this type of situation to help people get started.

In lieu of Oblivion and Morrowind not simplifying getting started, I would recommend to a player having trouble getting into the game to just focus on whatever the next step is in the main story line and try to accomplish it. It ends up being more like starting a typical game and helps people get going. At some point, a player will generally want to either start branching out or start over with a new character. A good second step from following the main story line is starting quests for a guild. It's what I ended up having to do in Morrowind when I played it the first time. I loved what I saw of the game, but I felt lost. I didn't know what was out there, where was best to go, or even how I was supposed to try to fight other than obviously swinging a sword. So, I just jumped on the main storyline and rushed into it. Eventually, that got a little tough for lack of character development, so I started the Thieve's Guild and had lots of fun with that. By then, I started getting comfortable and creative on my own, and having tons of fun.

As far as Oblivion or Morrowind being better than the other, I've found that people who have played both frequently have their opinion formed largely out of that comfort level they may or may not have developed with each game. A lot of long time Morrowind players have trouble developing that new connection with Oblivion when they can pull back to Morrowind and get much the same type of gaming experience. Also, I have known several people who played Oblivion without even knowing that Morrowind existed. After loving Oblivion so much, they found out about Morrowind and bought it too, only to have trouble being able to even get into the game without wanting to just play Oblivion some more instead. Being as objective as I possibly can be, I think the two games are pretty much equal for their time. Going from there, taking the "when they were made" element out of it, I would say Oblivion is better thanks the more advanced technology and maybe more detailed content. Of which one I have enjoyed more personally, it would be Morrowind because I've had much more time that I played it. Someday, if I can get enough time to play games, I will likely switch that over to Oblivion...a newer, higher powered PC wouldn't hurt at all, either. :D

John G, I have to give it to Gothic 3, the Story line was very linear, with 3 paths one can choose to follow pretty much at any given time for the first 20 hours of play. if the game was not so buggy I would recommend it to people,

So far with Oblivion, I am not getting sucked in, game moves very slow, city travel is slow, I thought loading screens were a thing of the past...

If the makes of Obilvion, had made a game like Gothic 3, with the controls of Oblivion that would make for a very fun, easy to get into game, atleast for someone like my self who is still just getting into the RPG world and does not really want to go full our roll playing.

Omsion, GREAT links, Sucks that some of the cool mods are only offered at http://www.tessource.net/ which requires a pay to download account for files over 2Mb

Back