• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rig Building

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
davekusa said:
Gigabyte DS3 has been my motherboard of choice (109 at newegg). In 6 months the quad core will be 250 . The dual cores can go on ebay. I won't have to change anything but the CPU.
That is definately a good point to think about. Would make for a very painless upgrade down the road with only 40 bucks more up front.. hmmmmmm

jws2346 said:
Hey Mr ChasR, these are probably dumb questions (maybe off topic too) :eh?: , but, after the April 22nd price cuts, I was seriously considering a E4400 (I think 10x multi). I don't have but one stick of DDR1 in the closet so I was wondering would it be okay to use DDR2? :confused: (I have a DDR2 400 kit and a DDR2 667 kit for 1 GB each kit) I have an extra PCIe card, PSU, HSF, etc and a Asrock 775DUAL-VSTA mobo with a "mini space heater ", " energy hog" PD 805 (OC'ed to 2.8 GHz) in it right now. I was hoping to retire the PD 805 and put the E4400 in it's place. Do you think I could get it (E4400) up to 3.0 GHz? I was going to replace the 1 GB kit DDR2 667 in a P5B Deluxe mobo and E6300 with a 1 GB kit of DDR 800, maybe clock it to 3.0 GHz stable folding? :shrug: I would appreciate an answer to these questions from anyone. I addressed this post to ChaseR because, like many team 32 members, he knows lots about folding, plus he has a 775DUAL-VSTA in his farm. :D

Edit: I was planning on getting a E6420 (I like my E6400, I'd like to try a x3210) to replace the E6300 in a P5B Deluxe mobo and add some DDR2 PC6400. It'd be cheaper to just put the E6300 in the Asrock and forget about a fsb 800 E4400. (man, I wish April 22nd would hurry up and get here)

DDR1 ram works fine on the ASRock as does DDR2. You're only talking a few percent difference in performance in most cases on most WUs. The exception is on p2610 where the added bandwidth of DDR2 is a big plus. Today I got the E4300 running @ 307 FSB with ram @ 1:1, 4-4-4-10, 1T command rate. THe bump of 7 MHz plus the change to 1T command rate raised bandwidth by about 250 MB/sec (as reported by memtest86). Frame times dropped by 3minutes. The ram is rated CL5 DDR2 800. I may be able to lower latency further for even more gain in production.
The 4 MB cache on C@Ds is beneficial on all WUs, producing about 80 ppd/GHz more than 2MB cache models on all but one. On p2610 (Win SMP only), The 4 MB cache models outproduce the 2 MB cache models by over 300 ppd/GHz at stock speeds on this one WU.

Edit: Memory (mine) failed me. The frame times went from 22:42 (not 24:22) to 21:19. An improvement of 1:23 not 3 minutes. A 2% bump in FSB speed lead to a 6% improvement in frame times.

Last edited:
davekusa said:
Gigabyte DS3 has been my motherboard of choice (109 at newegg). In 6 months the quad core will be 250 . The dual cores can go on ebay. I won't have to change anything but the CPU.
exactly my plan!! :attn:

(BTW, you don't have to have v3.3 in order to put a quad in it right? it can do 400FSB no problem! just a BIOS flash is all it'll need, right?)

some of you know that I LOVE the DS3!! relatively cheap (just a tad over $100 nowaday), and good o/c (400+FSB easily). pretty much all of my C2D box are using DS3!!

Back