• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

90 Degree right before pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eightballrj

Well I am going to be changing my loop up a bit to clean it up and get my pump out of the way. Would it be okay to run a 90 fitting right before the pump inlet?

Setup is in sig. Thanks a bunch!

Richard

eightballrj said:
Well I am going to be changing my loop up a bit to clean it up and get my pump out of the way. Would it be okay to run a 90 fitting right before the pump inlet?

Setup is in sig. Thanks a bunch!

Richard

Can you post pictures, maybe we can help you eliminate the 90. I would recommend trying to eliminate it, otherwise it may be too restrictive (dependant on bend size and pump).

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

That is my setup as of now... err well as of last week. Now its all apart. I want to put the pump in the top 3 5.25 bays to get it out of the way. Right now its a PITA where it is!

Obviously, the drives and fan controller will be removed.

Give me a few minutes to see if I can find a shorter loop.

EDIT: What about bolting the pump to the back grate next to the graphics card, does it fit?

Then you can go rad<pump<gpu<cpu<rad. That is a really short loop if you can do it.

Oh, and you get to keep your bays.

Last edited:
Having a 90 at the pump inlet is the absolute worst possible place to have a 90. With that said it will work but will put undue stress on the pump.

thideras said:
Give me a few minutes to see if I can find a shorter loop.

EDIT: What about bolting the pump to the back grate next to the graphics card, does it fit?

Then you can go rad<pump<gpu<cpu<rad. That is a really short loop if you can do it.

Oh, and you get to keep your bays.

Now THAT might just work. I never thought about that. I just have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the audio expansion card on the Commando. Only other thing to worry about is hard bends but it's looking like it should be pretty easy to make um. Might even go to black tubing if they are easy enough.

Thanks a bunch! Keep shooting out ideas if you think of any more:)!

Last edited:
nikhsub1 said:
Having a 90 at the pump inlet is the absolute worst possible place to have a 90. With that said it will work but will put undue stress on the pump.

So, after pump is better. I was just thinking about pressure drop. But, I guess before will create pressure drop before causing the pump to "pull" more, instead of push more. Makes sense.

eightballrj said:
Now THAT might just work. I never thought about that. I just have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the audio expansion card on the Commando. Only other thing to worry about is hard bends but it's looking like it should be pretty easy to make um. Might even go to black tubing if they are easy enough.

Thanks a bunch! Keep shooting out ideas if you think of any more:)!
Not a problem, I like solving problems!! :bday:

eightballrj said:
So, after pump is better. I was just thinking about pressure drop. But, I guess before will create pressure drop before causing the pump to "pull" more, instead of push more. Makes sense.
Actually, never is better, I'd never personally put a 90 bend anywhere in my loop, way too much restriction.

I have pics, sec....

EDIT:

loop1.jpg

EDIT2: Wait, that won't work, you need T-line before pump, put it between the pump and rad. My bad. :beer:

Still looks like it will be a pita with removing the vid card. What makes it so bad where it was?

CGR said:
Still looks like it will be a pita with removing the vid card. What makes it so bad where it was?

...it looks like he would have a difficult time removing the card. With the pump on the side, it will be more difficult, but you just unbolt the pump, move it out of the way and remove the card.

Does that case have a blowhole? If not then I would probably cut a couple of holes in the top, lower your rad/fan setup down a bit to suck air out the top.

Then remove the rear fan and bolt the pump where the rear fan is currently located.

Well, the thing about it is. I really don't care about how hard it is to remove the card. Removing the card is always a "undo the loop" move anyway. I just want it out of the way of the hard drives' cabling and out of the way of the CMOS reset. Keep in mind that that mobo is my old one though. I will be using that loop you suggested thideras. Thanks bro!

CGR said:
Does that case have a blowhole? If not then I would probably cut a couple of holes in the top, lower your rad/fan setup down a bit to suck air out the top.

Then remove the rear fan and bolt the pump where the rear fan is currently located.

Thing about that is that the rads will always have a higher temp input than with it "externally mounted" like it is now. Now, it gets nothing but ambient inlet temps. Thanks for the suggestion though. Oh, yes it does have a blowhole.... with modified "spoiler" on top to direct case heat away from the rad intakes instead of just make the top fan quieter like factory:)

I doubt you will see much if any difference in cooling temps from the case air being sucked out the top through the rad due to the airflow you have going through them now..

Have to remember that when you WC you dont have fans in the case pushing hot air away from the CPU or GPU.. So your internal case temp is a lot lower than when both the CPU and GPU are air cooled.

CGR said:
I doubt you will see much if any difference in cooling temps from the case air being sucked out the top through the rad due to the airflow you have going through them now..

Have to remember that when you WC you dont have fans in the case pushing hot air away from the CPU or GPU.. So your internal case temp is a lot lower than when both the CPU and GPU are air cooled.

Well, with my case I have two intake 120s, two exhaust 120s, and a 120 cooling the ram/PWM area and a 80mm on the video card cooling the PWM's on there while watercooling the CPU and GPU.

Last edited:
nikhsub1 said:

Why will it put undue stress on the pump? Maybe if you could get a high enough pressure differential across the 90 to cuase cavitation it might but I haven't seen anything in his loop that makes me think cavitation will be a problem. Other than that I can't think of reason why it would put any more stress on you pump than having it anywher else in your loop.

speed bump said:
Why will it put undue stress on the pump? Maybe if you could get a high enough pressure differential across the 90 to cuase cavitation it might but I haven't seen anything in his loop that makes me think cavitation will be a problem. Other than that I can't think of reason why it would put any more stress on you pump than having it anywher else in your loop.

If I had to guess I would think he was saying it would put undue restriction before the pump. I don't think that stress was the "proper" word for it as it probably wouldn't hurt the pump, just hinder its performance.

I think the 90 degree bend AFTER the pump would be the worst place to put it. Because this would mean you lose the flow rate for ALL your water blocks.

Back