• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Console Project by Navig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Medium Density Fiberboard. Summary of pros n cons. Strong, sturdy, easy to work with. Dirt cheap. Painting of cut edges is a problem--any water based paint, the fibers stand up, giving it a strange texture. You can find certain types of sealer paint. Or do what I plan, line the cut edges with melamine tape.

I should design and build a sub enclosure for my car... But do I re-use the MDF from my home made bookshelf? Or do I go out and buy a fresh sheet of the stuff?

With building an encosure look for a good design, 1inch off can make a difference ;],

I wouldn't just make a box either.

I'm going to summarize several weeks of experimentation into bending large plastic panes with this picture:

Bendingsheetfinal1.jpg

Done twice, I mounted these bad boys with tape:

Bendingsheetfinalmounted2.jpg

A little quick test with possible lighting:

Bendingsheetfinalmounted3.jpg

Next step: mount the hinges, and trim the doors to size.

Okay, now I could use a little advice/suggestions.

Doors have been cut and hung:

Doorscut.jpg

Any suggestions on how to latch the doors closed? I had all along assumed I do something like door magnets, but now I think I might take the opportunity to do something a little more unique. Must be sleek and functional!

navig

So I was sitting at my desk this night, and all of sudden Console PC ver 2.0 came to me. So I've spent the last half hour sketching it out!

Consolever2.jpg

Sorry, the pencil didn't scan so well, but I think you can make out the general details. What is the point, you say? Its a combo console for your regular "TV" rack equipment, plus a full sized case built into one.

Sure, you can buy media center cases that will go into a standard rack. But can they offer full ATX sized motherboard running a 3x120 watercooled loop, overclocked quad core with SLI, and 6 terabytes of storage?

navig

Alright, got my doors mounted and my catch mechanism installed. Here's a test run of what it looks like to open my system:

th_Doorlatch.jpg

Update:

Backplate is made and secured:

Backpanelclipsmounted.jpg

Front Switch Panel, testing the LEDs:

Switchpanellit.jpg

And mounted:

Swtichpanelmounted.jpg

I'm also starting to prep the body for paint (all the white stripes are edge trim tape for the rough cut edges).

Painting Painting Painting....

Paint-morewhiteprime.jpg

Here are a couple of finished panels:

Paint-finalblackfinish.jpg

Bulletproof matte black.

Here a little test sample for some bling I might add:

Litlogotest.jpg

(Instead of a rectangle of black tape, imagine "Navig" in a nice font).

its been a while since i have checked this project and it is coming out nice!

i really like the whole thing... but... how many fans and how loud are they going to be?

also it would be cool if you could fit a ps3 in there and have it folding!

I've got it currently planned for 3 intake fans, and 2 exhaust fans, probably all yate loons. Its not a big deal, with most of the body work made of MDF you can hardly hear fans at all.

For this first build, being my first ever attempt at woodwork, I kept it a simple (if large) computer case only. Let me tell you it will be a pleasure to install things into this case. Everything has plenty of space with tool free slots. There will even be a rack behind the vertical mdf strut to stow all those power supply cables.

I may or may not install a triple radiator and watercool it.

If you wanted to put a PS3 on it you could just put it on top--the entire top will be a useable flat surface as you can see here. Simple, sturdy, functional.

Now I may go on to build this version 2 which will have plenty of space for standard a/v components.

navig

Here are some update pics.

Paint-blackpanels.jpg

All the panels are painted. Maybe a second name for this project should be the Ikea project! Its really only comprised of what 6 panels, 2 plastic windows, a backer, and some hardware.

Here's it going together:

Paint-semiassembled.jpg

Here's a test pic of a possible backlit logo panel (that I hinted at above):

Logolitup.jpg

Not sure I'm going to keep it. We'll see...

Back