• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to Full Tower /w WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackrungh

I've decided finally that I am sick of "dealing" with mid-towers, and cutting them in all sorts of insane and specific ways to fit everything internally. I don't move my box often, but when I do, I wanna be able to put it in its box with the custom Styrofoam packing, and throw it in the back of my car to wherever I may be going. I've made several long trips this way, without draining my loop, without any sort of fuss, and I'd like to keep it that way. The case that seems to be perfect for this is the Lian Li PC-G70, but I wondered if there were some cases out there that I hadn't come across. In your suggestions, note that I definitely love the brushed aluminum look, and anything with molded plastics or gauche neon lighting or anything completely disinterests me. Basically, the only brand I like is Lian Li, and I've researched their entire line, but I wonder if any of you might bring something out of left field that I've never seen before. Price point is at $200 as a strict maximum.

The Cooler Master stacker. It's possible to stick up to a 120x3 rad in the front without cutting the case in any way. Only "mod" you would have to do is put something on the sides to keep it secured in place.

Yeah thats a good point stool, and I didnt mean to give the impression that it was Lian Li or nothing, I simply agree with basically their entire design philosophy. However that tip of the Temjin is a good one. I looked into it more closely, and of course I've seen many of these all over the place in other's rigs, but the only one that really sings to me and would very well accomodate what I want to do is the TJ07, which is a real beauty, and while my loop would be completely different there, it is very suitable to what I have in mind. Unfortunately its at $300, more than $100 higher than the g70, and I still think I prefer the g70, due to its greater potential for interesting mods. I will agree though that the TJ07 is much more elegant.

When I look at the Chenbro, and many like it, I cant help but think, "In Soviet Russia case mod YOU." I think one my main gripes is that these are generally server cases in the true sense of the word, and not towers. Their bells and whistles are intended to service that hardware and that cooling setup, and its often too specific for someone who likes to dremel holes into every plane. Additionally, the gratification I get from modding and watercooling is a combination of the amazing performance, the pleasure of working and molding something with my own hands, and finally, creating something that is simple and beautiful. This is not to say that I care about aesthetics to a great extent, but every day I wanna look at my case and grin remembering the process of making it and the pleasure of using it.

I just finished a new build in a G70B and the room and quality is second to none. I put the PSU in the bottom and that leaves a bunch of room at the top for a radiator and fans. I have 6 sataII HD's in it and a hot swap in a 5" bay, 2 DVD's, a fan controller, floppy, and a temp monitor with plenty room left.

The Silverstones are great cases but their price point seems a bit out there. I think their over priced.

This is my 5th Lian-Li case so I'm a bit one sided on the subject. But every time I do a build, I spend a lot of time researching all the new cases. I just seem to keep coming back to Lian-Li. JMHO.

I will say I changed out all the fans to Scythe S-Flex "F" series and the case came with the wrong side panel. (no side vent). One call to NewEgg and they calledf Lian-Li and within 10 days, Lian-Li shipped me the correct panel, no questions asked, and it showed up from Tiawan(sp) in perfect condition. Can't ask for more than that.

Last edited:
jackrungh said:
When I look at the Chenbro, and many like it, I cant help but think, "In Soviet Russia case mod YOU." I think one my main gripes is that these are generally server cases in the true sense of the word, and not towers. Their bells and whistles are intended to service that hardware and that cooling setup, and its often too specific for someone who likes to dremel holes into every plane. Additionally, the gratification I get from modding and watercooling is a combination of the amazing performance, the pleasure of working and molding something with my own hands, and finally, creating something that is simple and beautiful. This is not to say that I care about aesthetics to a great extent, but every day I wanna look at my case and grin remembering the process of making it and the pleasure of using it.
I am the same way. I only have a couple of cases that I have left the same as I got them. I am presently completely redoing a 16-bay Chenbro server cube. I have removed the metal sides and plastic top, and am using acrylics as a replacement. Its windowed top and sides, multi-lighted and fanned, with dual PSUs waiting to be installed. This is strictly an exercise for me, as this case held my main setup for about three years until sustaining some pretty bad damage. The reason I suggested server cases is the flexibility they allow for both room and modification. The mentioned Chenbro has been through watercooling, and back to air, and the lighting and fan mods I am trying now, if all works like I hope, should be great. Just something to consider.

well I have always recommended teh Inwin Q500 ,

but its not brushed , it has a plastic bezel , but it has room for a dual 120mm fan rad above the psu .

take out eth hd cage and you can have pump and res in the bottom of the case .

I often use mine as a stool or even sometimes a ladder , and I am 230lbs and I dont even question teh sturdiness ever !:eek: :eek:

Oh and a mobo tray . I gave my lianli to the mrs cuz it didnt have a mobo tray and went back to the Inwin and this case is over 6 years old and I still love it !!!

silent bob said:

but its not brushed , it has a plastic bezel , but it has room for a dual 120mm fan rad above the psu .

take out eth hd cage and you can have pump and res in the bottom of the case .

I often use mine as a stool or even sometimes a ladder , and I am 230lbs and I dont even question teh sturdiness ever !:eek: :eek:

Oh and a mobo tray . I gave my lianli to the mrs cuz it didnt have a mobo tray and went back to the Inwin and this case is over 6 years old and I still love it !!!

That case is freakn huge! I did a little looking around and found it for aprox 80 shipped on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INWIN-12-BAY-AT...6QQihZ016QQcategoryZ80166QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is hard for me to tell in the picture, but can you tell me if a 120x3 will fit on the inside along the top with out bumping into the 5.25 bays?

My radiator is aprox 15.5 inches long.

--pak

That case is insanely good. The potential there is virtually limitless, however, I still come back to the concern about beauty. Thats not really the right word, I'm trying to convey a sense of satisfaction at a product that is completely itself. An object composed of elements that complement one another completely, and it no longer could be thought of as something made up of parts. I can't see that happening with a huge steel and plastic case, even one as intelligently designed and competently constructed such as the Inwin. It might be possible if one really modded the crap out of it, and made it indistinguishable from its stock self, but that would just be compensating for it.

I realize this sentiment I have is way too fanciful for the context, and that its obtuse in our logical and practical hobby. I would never put dye in my loop or get cold cathodes or any such foolishness, and yet I yearn to make this next build a creation that radiates a cold and competent simplistic beauty of form.

Even I want to make fun of myself for this post.

silent bob said:

Excellent case. I got rid of mine about 2 years ago, because a friend fell in love with it.

Back