• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of iodine are you supposed to use??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. :)

I don't think it really matters. Some people with acrylic parts prefer alcohol-free (has potasium iodide in it to make the iodine water soluable), but I'm not at all sure a few drops per liter of alcohol are going to matter. Povidone-iodine (betadine) will work a little faster, but that probably doesn't matter for our purposes. There's clear iodine if a touch of red would mess up your color scheme. Concentrations are usually 2% or 5%. Obviously, if you get the 2% you need to use more.

The really critical thing is to make sure whatever you use is completely dissolved in the coolant. You don't want any solids wearing out your pump. I don't believe this is an issue with any of the common drugstore preparations, though.

The colour of Iodine sux, where can I find some "clear" Iodine?

Iodine on its own looks like a crystal and its not very soluble in water (so dont buy that one).

I think the iodine that is disolved in alcohol is the ones used for cuts and wounds.

The Iodine that is disolved with potasium is the Iodine we use for Gram Stains (can still kill bacteria).

Last edited:
Mycobacteria said:
The colour of Iodine sux, where can I find some "clear" Iodine?

Iodine on its own looks like a crystal and its not very soluble in water (so dont buy that one).

I think the iodine that is disolved in alcohol is the ones used for cuts and wounds.

The Iodine that is disolved with potasium is the Iodine we use for Gram Stains (can still kill bacteria).
That is why I switched to Aquarium Algaecide.

Yeah but does the aquarium algacide kill both algae and bacteria??

Is it really hitting two birds with one stone?

Mycobacteria said:

I will probably add 2-3 drops of Povidone Iodine just to be safe.

Mycobacteria said:

I doubt it. Aquarium filters need bacteria to function properly, hence a broad spectrum bactericide in the water would cause problems. I also doubt fish would stay healthy swimming in a solution that could kill all microbes.

Back