• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System overhaul

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtwinlvr

Registered
Ok Im at a split in the road. My old desktop system which I took out of storage booted up once, then the next time I fired it back up, it was dead in the water. Critical error in windows, and 2 attempts to reinstall have failed. It was a P4, 1gig of DDR pc3500, Nvidia 5600ultra agp, powered by an Antec 530watt psu. I already know I need to upgrade the video, so I might as well replace and upgrade to pci-e. Question though is, do I go with a 939 socket, and use the memory I have, or go AM2, and buy new ram. My psu has the 20pin connector, but I could get the adapter plug and use it anyways right? I doubt Ill use SLI, but will be gaming. Im already planning to at least mildly overclocking it. Any advice and opinions? Im going to post a similar question in the intel forums, but aim angling towards AMD and save money.

I think you should go AM2, better upgrade path. You can pick up 2 GBs of DDR2 for under 150 dollars brand new now a days.

bigtwinlvr said:
Ok Im at a split in the road. My old desktop system which I took out of storage booted up once, then the next time I fired it back up, it was dead in the water. Critical error in windows, and 2 attempts to reinstall have failed. It was a P4, 1gig of DDR pc3500, Nvidia 5600ultra agp, powered by an Antec 530watt psu. I already know I need to upgrade the video, so I might as well replace and upgrade to pci-e. Question though is, do I go with a 939 socket, and use the memory I have, or go AM2, and buy new ram. My psu has the 20pin connector, but I could get the adapter plug and use it anyways right? I doubt Ill use SLI, but will be gaming. Im already planning to at least mildly overclocking it. Any advice and opinions? Im going to post a similar question in the intel forums, but aim angling towards AMD and save money.
If I was you, I find out what'd dead on current system and get a cheap replacement and Wait for AMD's Barcelona. By then Intel will drop in price because of it, and then you can decide Intel or AMD. Or just sell your DDR and go w/ 3600 brisbane w/ a decent motherboard. When Barcelona hits the market, you can upgrade to it using the same motherboard.

So many new things coming now, it makes it hard to decide to buy anything in the now. I guess I'll keep waiting to ><

Back