• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Information please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saddler

Hi all :beer:

I have a (intel p4 northwood 2400 mhz C1 cpu stepping) on a AV49(n) v6.00 pg motherboard. with ThermalTake A1545 SKT-478 3.2GHz Spark 7 heatsink
could i get this to oc close to 3000 mhx or is this to high for the set up ??
Saddler

Hey & :welcome:

The limiting factor is going to be your Shuttle motherboard with VIA Chipset. It lacks a AGP/PCI lock. You'll be doing well to reach 2.7GHz with either a 2.4A (24multi x 100FSB) or a 2.4B (18multi X 133FSB). Going beyond 2.7GHz will possibly cause HDD corruption.

could somebody recommend a motherboard i have been told the ASUS P4P800 range is good mb for overclocking but if somebody can add to recommend list that would be great..:beer:

saddler said:
could somebody recommend a motherboard i have been told the ASUS P4P800 range is good mb for overclocking but if somebody can add to recommend list that would be great..:beer:

I've got one of those boards and am well pleased with it.
They are getting hard to find with an Intel chipset though.:)
Edit: I really don't think you would get to 3.0 mhz with my board either.

You current motherboard only supports 400 and 533 FSB processors. The 3.4GHz CPU has an 800 FSB.

The e-bay link would require that you buy a new 24 pin power supply, ddr2 ram, and a PCIe video card (or use the integrated graphics). That seller is claiming a dual-core 2.8GHz CPU runs at 5.6GHz - he's wrong about that. ;) lol

Other motherboards to look for are the Abit IC7, IC7-G, or AI7.

The C1 stepping Northwoods are typically good for 3.2-3.4 gig with good cooling and using a good motherboard. As others have said, that mobo you currently have will probably limit you to around 150 FSB.

batboy said:
Other motherboards to look for are the Abit IC7, IC7-G, or AI7.

The C1 stepping Northwoods are typically good for 3.2-3.4 gig with good cooling and using a good motherboard. As others have said, that mobo you currently have will probably limit you to around 150 FSB.
Hi is the - max and G models still recommended as i have found a shop selling these models
ABit IC7
ABit IC7-G
ABit IC7- Max
What Mroard is best from these above ???
Thanks in advance
Saddler

Back