• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Expanding Raid 0 array to upgrade to larger drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Expanding Raid 1 array to upgrade to larger drives?

Hi,

I currently have a 400gb raid 1 mirror array. I would like to purchase some inexpensive 500gb drives to make a larger raid 1 mirror. Can I simply put one of the 500gb's into the array, wait until its mirrored, then swap out the other 400gb drive for another 500 to convert it all to 500?

Or should I just build the 500 raid 1 array & then plug one of the 400gb drives into the PC & copy the files over?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
richklein said:
...then plug one of the 400gb drives into the PC & copy the files over?
Copy the files over? You've got some reading to do.
If you could "copy the files over" I'd be at your house offering to buy a copy of your OS and all your programs....and Bill Gates would be broke.

Im not sure what you mean. With my current raid 0 array, couldnt I plug one of the two 400gb hard drives into a different SATA port & copy the data of the drive?

EDIT: I just reread that, I meant raid 1 (mirroring). Sorry, Raid 0 is the speedy raid (not what I am using).

So would it work for raid1?

if you put a 500Gb drive into the RAID 1 array (I assume pretending that you have had a single drive failure) then it will just mirror the 400Gb partition and leave 100Gb unused space. If you want a 500Gb mirror you will have to create a second array with the 500Gb drives and copy the data over.

richklein said:
Im not sure what you mean.

EDIT: I just reread that, I meant raid 1 (mirroring). Sorry, Raid 0 is the speedy raid (not what I am using).

So would it work for raid1?
Yes, what he said.

Back