• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my audio driver gripe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

ok, so i am back on vista for something new. i grab the new creative drivers for my audigy 4 and get em installed, get my games banged in, hit go, and boom i am greeted to craptacular crap comeing from my stereo. creative basically invented the soundcard right? vista has been around for awhile.. so wtf cant they write a driver that will at least do eax 1 in vista? music pounds just fine but games are not what they should be. ok.. so i have an auzentech xplosion 7.1 as well.. the last time i used it was just in xp, but that card was able to do eax 2 i believe in cod2. great i thought.. ill slap it in and see what happens. while browsing the auzentech site, i noticed new vista drivers, woohoo! must be my lucky day, i get em installed reboot and am greeted to more crap. i was never impressed with this auzentech to begin with, but i mean cmon. we spend alot of money on hardware, the least they could do is offer a good solid all around driver. speaking of which, somewhere between here and there, ati tool wont read my craptacular nvidia driver anymore. it did for a day, then it stopped about 15 mins ago lol :bday:

:bang head :beer:

my x-fi is working in 5.1 and EAX :D

The problem is that vista totally changed the way things are processed....so creative has to totally write new drivers. I do feel that they have had quite a long time since Vista was in Beta and should have had a complete solution by now...but they do have working drivers for at least the X-fi's ...I haven't checked into the other cards.

Unfortunately it was actually a driver/application leak that has given me full use of my card, but whatever I guess. :shrug: I'm just happy it works. I've had Vista for a couple of months but didn't use it because I have to have full use of my soundcard. But now I do :) And with Alchemy I have EAX.

You can probably find an extrememusic on ebay for a pretty decent price. otherwise you have to buy the fataility version from retail.

I found a pretty decent deal and got an X-fi Platinum for $70. Only issue was that it didn't have the i/o cable. Welp, it turns out that a 40 pin IDE cable works like a charm. :) Just have to find an old one that has all 4 conductors, not like most of the newer ones that have the unused pins blocked off. Luckily I had an entire box of IDE cables and had several old ones. I ended up rounding and sleeving mine, so it matches the rest of my sleeved wires. (not that it really matters in my non-windowed case :beer:)

Back