Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

watercoolin x1900xtx and 1950xt CF

so i am gettin the MCW60 from swiftech with the ramsinks for my 2 cards runnin in CF and i am wonderin if anyone has any good threads/articles on installing these things on those cards

i am talkin mainly about spreadin the thermal compound on the core, usin arctic silver 5 here and also anyone usin those ramsinks or any ramsinks that has any good pointers about installin those things and keepin them on the card itself would be great

alot of people claim that the ramsinks fall off fast but i just think that they didnt do their research or just have no common sense

Whoever said the ramsinks fall off fast is right. I found that out today when I finally got my MCW60 back from RMA. (no mounting hardware) Not even 5 minutes after I flipped the card over one of the sinks fell off. As time went on, 3-4 of them had fallen off. I'm going to try and find some better thermal tape at CompUSA tomorrow. Hopefully they have some. If not, I'm not sure what to do. Oh and the installation will be a bit smoother with 2 people. With just 2 arms it was a tad tricky.

| Dell Studio17 Laptop |

| T9300 @ 2.5Ghz - ATI 3850 - 3GB RAM - Seagate 320GB 7200rpm - 17" (1920x1200) Glossy widescreen | Windows 7 64-bit |

just wonderin how long did u apply preasure to the sinks when u installed them, alot of people say that if u put weight on em and leave layin around for couple hours then firin up ur rig and doin some heavy video editin or gamin does

also any clue if u can use arctic silver 5 on those ramsinks or do u have to use tape

does *the trick*

meh guess i used backspace to many times

Team 32 Folding Member
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I use double sided tape for ramsinks. It doesn't really matter IMHO.

I wouldn't use AS5 since it is capacitive, it could pose an issue.

And I agree MC14 ramsinks are such BS
    Project Quick Bench
    i7 920 - P6T Deluxe V2 - 6gb XMS3 1600 - 2x GTX 460 1GB in SLI - Corsair AX 850
    HRT Music Streamer Pro > Rockhopper Beta 22 > HiFiMAN HE-500 / Sennheiser HD650
    Heatware

Guys I'd suggest u just spend the money and get the Tyee. AMAZING BLOCKS. I know they are expensive but they cover EVERYTHING. and run insanely cool (depending on your water's Heat dissipation). I have a tyee and LOVE IT. Im even planning on keeping my 1950xtx when ATI physics releases. so in essence it is a decent long term investment.

Team 32 Folding Member
    I can't justify ~$200 for blocks on cards that are almost out of date so as...

When an MCW60 + some ramsinks and airflow are just as good.
    Project Quick Bench
    Heatware

The ramsinks fall off because they're concave. Add that with the residue that remains on the ramsink from the thermal pad.

Peel off the stock thermaltape, lap the ramsinks, put a small dab of AS5 in the middle, small dots of super glue on the corners of the ramsink and your problem is solved.

Doesn't matter how long you press the things they'll still remain concave, you'll just have neat little round imprints on your thumb.
    Toshiba Satellite E105
    I'm packing Heat

well which of ur cards is more powerful? Tyee that one. Keep it once the R600 Hits and then use it for the new AMD/ATI chipset which will allow it to be used as a physics processor. Then it will never be obsolete

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Or buy an EK full cover block and get better build quality, better temps, and for a mere 99 dollars!
    Travis

Haswell, Hawaii, & MLC

My HeatWare 77-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by Maviryk
    The ramsinks fall off because they're concave. Add that with the residue that remains on the ramsink from the thermal pad.

Peel off the stock thermaltape, lap the ramsinks, put a small dab of AS5 in the middle, small dots of super glue on the corners of the ramsink and your problem is solved.

Doesn't matter how long you press the things they'll still remain concave, you'll just have neat little round imprints on your thumb.
    quick question or two

one if i use super glue small amounts will i be able to remove it later on without harmin the ram

two how long did u lap each ramsink on and what grid paper since its 8 of em pulled off the fan off the 1950xt CF it has a one piece coper heatsink on it thank god for less work

oh and as for the full coverage blocks no need for em now

later this year i will be probably upgrading my system and buildin my bro one so since he will get another graphics card i will just give him one of the blocks use the swiftech for the x1900xt and use a EK block for the 1950CF and hopefully by then the physical cards will be out so i will get that and CF workin HOT

Ok, seriously, stop with the TYEE fanboism.

1. Full coverage blocks do not offer lower temps.
    2. Vram does not need more than a simple ramsink to be adequately OCed. IIRC some guy in singapore tried to phase his ram and it didn't help a single bit. Also, you've never seen ViperJohn do anything more than a simple ramsink/small fan for his highly modified performance cards.

As for the Superglue, if you use a small dot, it will simply scrape off. However if you lacquer the thing....

I lapped the ramsinks on 220 grit for about 20 seconds with some water, then ran it over some 600 then 2000 grit for about 10 seconds each.

If you have a glass desk, press the ramsink against the bottom and you can clearly see the concavity.

I picked up some double sided tape today which is working great. The tape is very thin so heat will just pass right through it to the sink. Plus it sticks on a million times easier than that bad stock thermal tape.

| Dell Studio17 Laptop |

| T9300 @ 2.5Ghz - ATI 3850 - 3GB RAM - Seagate 320GB 7200rpm - 17" (1920x1200) Glossy widescreen | Windows 7 64-bit |

cool thx i will do the A5S and superglue cause i never trust in tape, i doubt i could keep my oily fingers off the dam tape
    Case: Armor Series
    PSU: ASPIRE 600W
    Motherboard: DFI CFX3200
    CPU: 3800+ x2 939 Swiftech Storm
    Ram: Corsair 2x1G
    GPU: Sapphire x1900xt and x1950CF 2x MCW60
    Swiftech Micro res, Swiftech Res 120x3, Masterkleer 7/16 tubin

Team 32 Folding Member
    IIRC thermaltake's cheapo ramsinks just use a form of double sided tape and most ram heat spreaders just use double sided tape as well.
    Project Quick Bench
    Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by WonderingSoul
    IIRC thermaltake's cheapo ramsinks just use a form of double sided tape and most ram heat spreaders just use double sided tape as well.
    Shenanigans?
    Toshiba Satellite E105
    I'm packing Heat

ya whoever came with the idea of usin double sided tape should be shot on sight
    Case: Armor Series
    PSU: ASPIRE 600W
    Motherboard: DFI CFX3200
    CPU: 3800+ x2 939 Swiftech Storm
    Ram: Corsair 2x1G
    GPU: Sapphire x1900xt and x1950CF 2x MCW60
    Swiftech Micro res, Swiftech Res 120x3, Masterkleer 7/16 tubin

Eh, it just goes to show you how little your ram chips really need in the way of cooling.

Now the voltage regulators on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by inkfx
    I picked up some double sided tape today which is working great. The tape is very thin so heat will just pass right through it to the sink.
    I think you may be fooling yourself here. You're losing a magnitude of thermal conductivity with the tape barrier in between the heatsink and the chips.

Get some of this. It's hard to work with, and it doesn't quite "stick" at first. However, after you peel one side off, then attach to the sink and peel the other side off, you're left with a slightly adhesive pink layer which, after a few days of use, becomes an almost permanent bond. It can be difficult to get the second layer peeled off so that it's just the pink thermal layer left on the sink, but this stuff conducts like no other thermal tape I've used.
    Not very active these days. PMs are the best way to reach me.

heatware

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast