• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercoolin x1900xtx and 1950xt CF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
aaronjb said:
I think you may be fooling yourself here. You're losing a magnitude of thermal conductivity with the tape barrier in between the heatsink and the chips.
With the tape being as thin as it is I don't see a problem. Switching from double sided tape to thermal tape will gain me how much better cooling? My guess is not much. Plus this tape was like $1 at the store while that stuff you linked to is ~$10 plus I have to wait for it to get here.

LOL problem looks like factory fudged up, here are my cards without heatsinks on em
DSCF0207.JPG
DSCF0209.JPG

notice the nice thermal work on the second one.............. how in hell em i supose to rake that paste off the whole area (or em i supose to) since the paste is even on the mini capacitors

here are magnifications
DSCF0210.JPG DSCF0215.JPG DSCF0214.JPG

the last one is ok just postin a picky for fun oh and also should i replace the ram heatsink on the x1950CF or should i leave it alone as it is mounted with screws so it wont be fallin off :bang head :bang head :bang head

I use a combination of rubbing alcohol, q-tips and paper towel to get the stock junk off. I'd keep that stock ramsink on there if it clears the tubing.

Maviryk said:
If you think that is messy you should look the stock 8800 TIM application, it's much worse.

Any video card I have dealt with has anyways had awful TIM applications. My 7900GT was slathered with the stuff.

inkfx said:
With the tape being as thin as it is I don't see a problem. Switching from double sided tape to thermal tape will gain me how much better cooling? My guess is not much. Plus this tape was like $1 at the store while that stuff you linked to is ~$10 plus I have to wait for it to get here.

I'll stick with my thermal tape. :) one purchase has lasted me over a year of various applications, from mosfests to vregs to ram sinks.

Let me put it another way: You'd be better off not having anything on those chips right now. With double-sided tape, your sinks are little more than decoration. But if you like the looks... :p

Maviryk said:
If you think that is messy you should look the stock 8800 TIM application, it's much worse.

QFT. What a mess to clean up.. it was all over the IHS and the surrounding area.

Back