• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me push my E6600 to it's limits...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loft

Alright. So I've had this E6600 for a couple weeks now and am slowly trying to OC my way up to around 3.6ghz on air cooling. My problem, however, is that the system randomly reboots while running Orthos at 3.4ghz. My temps are fine at 3.4ghz (30c idle, 52c load) and Orthos has never errored.

My bios settings are as follows...

CPU
Voltage: 1.45 vcore
Enhanced Power Slope: Enabled
FSB Voltage: 1.250
MCH/ICH Voltage: 1.525
Multiplier: 9 (locked by the motherboard)
Front Side Bus: 378

RAM
Reference Frequency: 266mhz
Memory Frequency: 533mhz
Timings: 4-4-4-12 @ 2.20v (stock)

SpeedStep / EIST: Disabled
C1E & Watchdog: Disabled

Any suggestions for getting this stable?

-- Ninja Edit: Forgot about my batch number... which sucks... L642A292 / Packed on: 1/23/07

What's your PSU? Also try some higher NB voltage, although if you keep it high you may want to add a small 40mm fan for cooling.

Hiper 580w Modular PSU.

I have no idea what would be ideal for the NB voltage. Is there a way to test it to make sure it's getting enough?

Lower multiplier in BIOS if possible, not sure if that's an option on the Badaxe2, and increase FSB. This will test Ram and NB stability. You can test 450MHz+ FSB at under 3.2GHz and eliminate the CPU itself as the issue since you already know it's stable at that speed.

MadMan007 said:
Lower multiplier in BIOS if possible, not sure if that's an option on the Badaxe2, and increase FSB. This will test Ram and NB stability. You can test 450MHz+ FSB at under 3.2GHz and eliminate the CPU itself as the issue since you already know it's stable at that speed.
Multiplier is locked on the BadAxe 2. :(

These new Conroes seem to be averaging 3.4 gig nowadays. The rumor is that a lot of the good yielding cores are going to the quads right now. But, try bumping up voltages across the board.

Vcore: 1.5v (watch temps)
Enhanced Power Slope: I have no idea what this is or what it does
FSB Voltage: 1.3v
MCH/ICH Voltage: 1.6v
RAM: bump it up another notch if you are still below 2.2v

batboy said:
These new Conroes seem to be averaging 3.4 gig nowadays. The rumor is that a lot of the good yielding cores are going to the quads right now. But, try bumping up voltages across the board.

Vcore: 1.5v (watch temps)
Enhanced Power Slope: I have no idea what this is or what it does
FSB Voltage: 1.3v
MCH/ICH Voltage: 1.6v
RAM: bump it up another notch if you are still below 2.2v

Enhanced Power Slope is supposed to help reduce vdroop.

I'll see if I can get anywhere by adjusting the voltages for FSB & NB. My vcore voltage is already pretty high.

Try vFSB 1.4, vMCH 1.6, then raise vCPU and FSB.

Judging by my bx2 and other posts i've seen w/bx2, you typically need around 1.4v vFSB and 1.6v vMCH to get into 400+ range.

I also had to switch to 333 ram ref. freq / 667 mem freq (1333 strap, 1:1) to stabilize over 415 FSB.

A fan on the NB cooler and/or a side panel fan helps once you get into that voltage range for the chipset.

Back