• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever heard of a willamette core or something

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
4od said:
Nah, they're like slightly slower, slightly older, and slightly cooler presscots

Well, they preceeded the northwood, so they aren't anything like a prescott. They weren't very impressive. High voltage, low cache, low fsb, low overclocks.

-Collin-

I run a socket 423 Willamette P4 1.4 GHz as one of my SETI rigs. No overclocking though since it is on an Intel (Seattle) board.

Airbornederekc said:
i had a old willamette 1.8 at 2.0 for about 8 years now. old rdram stuff. didnt really like it so i got a northy a year later.

I have one of those 2.0GHz in my lab at school :bang head .... needless to say I work from home for number crunching with my C2D nearly ALL the time now.

I've got an old 1.8 Willamette lying around too. It was kinda useless for OCing, even though it's unlocked. Those were dark, dark times for me. :(

That was probably one of the worst chips Intel ever released. Didn't they have just 8k of level 2 cache lol? To make things worse for Intel, I believe the Athlon t-birds came out around this time.

Reminds me of the days when my cousin and I went to Frys at the same time. He bought a willamette and I bought a palomino XP1600+. Mine cleaned his' clock. :)

-Collin-

davekusa said:
I had a 1.8 willy that OC'd like a mother. 2.7 GHZ all day long.

now the question is would it still be the worst if it where a worst or would the other be worse then the oced worse???

I have in my my hands a 2.6/400 Northwood that will not oc past 2.8.
It is by far the worst OCing chip I have everseen. I had the core temp down to 0C and couldn't get it past 2.9.

My experence with intel chips is that, the lower the GHz of a family of chips the better the OC. YMMV.

davekusa said:
I have in my my hands a 2.6/400 Northwood that will not oc past 2.8.
It is by far the worst OCing chip I have everseen. I had the core temp down to 0C and couldn't get it past 2.9.

My experence with intel chips is that, the lower the GHz of a family of chips the better the OC. YMMV.

LOL isnt that the same for both AMD and INTEL? If you're preferring to percentage gain then thats because higher clock chips doesnt have much room left.

Also the first batch doesnt have lots of headroom.

Its the same for AMD FYI (ie. 6000+ X2 ususally maxed out at 3.3ghz. Thats mersely 300mhz gained. 3600+ X2 maxed out 3.1ghz , thats 1.2ghz gained!)

Back