• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got a new CPU, not working.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiz4rd9

Registered
I decided to upgrade my CPU because according to Asus my board supports the core 2 duo E6400. But so far ive had zero luck getting it to post.

My board is an Asus P5SD2-X and I have 2 x 512mb 667 240 pin ddr2.

Does anyone have any suggestions? different ram? different motherboard needed?

Thank you.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't support it, i thought it did. Well in the case that it doesn't, could you reccomend an affordable mobo?

It needs to have 1 PCI-E slot, atleast 2 pci slots, and atleast 1 onboard sata controller, as well as onboard lan. Everything else is optional, overclocking options are nice also but not mandatory, thank you for your quick responce btw.

yea, im just worried I will pick a stinker. ive done a lot of reading, I would like to keep it under 100 dollars if possible and still get a descent board that I can crack atleast 2.5ghz with and will support this cpu and 667 ram. :)

are you looking to overclock? or have the option to down the line? neither of those board will do that for you.

for a budget board, i would go with what inkfx suggested, hands down. or a little cheaper (i think?) is a gigabyte S3 965p. i would not suggest a 945 board for ocing, and only a couple intel boards let you oc.

Wiz4rd9 said:
I decided to go with this suggested one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138039

Looks like an all around good board to get my cpu up around 3ghz.

Wiz4rd9 I don't think you can go wrong with the Tforce :shrug: , I've got a E6600 sitting in one right now OC'ed to 3.4 GHz. I have my E6400 sitting in a AW9D-MAX (the E6600 was in it and it may be a "bummer board" I'm too lazy to RMA it, I could only get 2.9 GHz stable with my E6600) I have a E6420 and a E6300 sitting in some P5B Deluxe boards and I'm hard pressed to tell any difference besides the price (I think the 5's have better quality components), I think the P5B's were close to $200 USD and the TForce was about a $104 from the egg. My $0.02 cents worth :D

Edit: Oh yeah, I just thought of something if all else fails and the mobo you have supports "dual cores" reseat the cpu. I did that once when I had the same problem I switched RAM, I switched PSU's, I took the board out of the case, I asked a zillion questions from a zillion people, I even prayed to the computer Gods, nothing. I just happened to luck out with a cpu reseat. (I was seriously considering a 7th floor drop check on the mobo)

Last edited:
Back