• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on ram voltage specs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peepaw

Here's the question.
When specs on ram list the voltage, is that the voltage that it should run at, or is that number the max voltage?:confused:
Tha ram I have coming is rated at 2.2 volts.
Thanks in advance.:)

That number indicates the stock voltage. Your motherboard will have a range of voltages to switch between just like the CPU volts.

inkfx said:
That number indicates the stock voltage. Your motherboard will have a range of voltages to switch between just like the CPU volts.

They are going in a p5b-d mobo. Should I set them to 2.2v?

From what I understand thats the max voltage it is gauranteed to run stable at the listed timing and speed. So, if you need to raise the voltage to keep a stable system... you're gauranteed up to a 2.2v setting at normal timing... you can however usually get better timing and higher speeds than whats listed at lower voltage. You don't have to run it at that voltage.

akkuma said:
From what I understand thats the max voltage it is gauranteed to run stable at the listed timing and speed. So, if you need to raise the voltage to keep a stable system... you're gauranteed up to a 2.2v setting at normal timing... you can however usually get better timing and higher speeds than whats listed at lower voltage. You don't have to run it at that voltage.

That's why I'm confused.:confused:
Everytime I've asked this question I get conflicting answers.

I believe that the number indicates stock voltage.

When you put the ram into your motherboard, it will select a voltage for the ram. It may be 2.2, or it may be 1.8.

Whatever it chooses, if it is stable, you can leave it where it is, however, if it isn't stable, you should increase the voltage a notch and see if that helps. if it doesn't, another notch. If you end up passing 2.2 volts with these particular sticks, you probably got bad ones, and should send them back for replacements.

Back