• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FireFox Extensions (April 07)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deRusett

I notice it has been a while since people have listed the Extensions they use for Firefox, and as I have just done a fresh format and have been surfing the extension library I figure I shall start a thread with what I have found and think is cool.

IE Tab
This opens things in a IE Tab with in firefox, Seems to open things in a IE 6 tab even after I have installed IE 7, though I installed this BEFORE IE7, been using it for a while it is great to have to view sites that don't work well with Firefox, and still have some kinks with IE7 plus it is nice to contain it in a single tab.

IE View,
There is Also a IE View Lite, I downloaded and installed this thinking it was IE Tab something I had used before, IE View is so/so, it opens IE for you and loads the page in IE, which ever version of IE you have installed.

Image Zoom
This is a nifty tool, hold right click and use the scroll wheel to Zoom images, this is great for people like me who Run Resolutions like 1680X1050.

PDF download
Awesome, I've been using it for as long as it has been around, lets you view PDF's as HTML, download them, open in new tab, lots of features, keeps you from getting roped into opening a PDF when you don't want to.

Split Browerser
Man this is so cool, ever wanted to compare 2 or 3 pages at the same time, now you can do it in a single brower, the thing I missed the most moving from Windows 3.11 in Windows XP was Tile view, where it tiled all open windows on the screen so you could see everything, now I do it with multiple monitors, but this allows me to have "tile view" of web pages and can resize in to many ways, fantastic, though I've only been using it for 1 day now, maybe I'll update in a couple of weeks.

StumbleUpon
Seems like a Random Channel surfer, downloaded it in case I got bored, have not really tried it yet

Tab Catalog
F8 quickly shows a thumbnail view of all tabs, so far I have enjoyed it, F8 is a pretty good key location for me, but it can be customized for you, I might make my Start menu key my new Tab browse key hmmmm.

Video Downloader
Pretty self explanatory, download Youtube, and the like Video's

DownThemAll
Great quick downloading tool, want to download all the images off a site single click, or maybe a bunch of PDF files bang, quick and easy.

that is it for now.

Oh and Adblock Plus, but really I don't use it for much, it is more a just incase tool,

What is everyone else using?

Theme:
Brushed (modified and hacked-up to work with FF2.x) - brushed metal/minimalist skin

Add-ons:
Copy Plain Text - copies text without formatting (no html tags etc)
CustomizeGoogle - removes google ads and allows for customization of GIS searches and such
Distrust - supposedly allows for stealthy browsing but I've really never used it
Firesomething (also hacked for 2.x) - Changes the Mozilla Firefox banner name at the top to random customizable things; kinda useless
I Must Not Fear! (hacked) - nerd for Dune.
IE View Lite
Linkification - converts text links into clickable html links; problem I was having with another site
NoScript - because javascript is satan's work
PDF Download
ShowIP - really handy; gives you all of the IP's associated with the site you're on as well as easy whoIS links
SomethingAwful Last Read Enhancement - :3

Adblock Plus - Less Ads. Seems to work
Better Gmail - Just for the filter assistant fast click
Chatzilla - IRC client. Really nice.
Chromotabs - All Tabs from different websites are different color, really helps to distinguish when I got 20+tabs
Copy Plain Text- Described above, copies from wiki nicely
Download StatusBar - No more popup, and all downloads are shown at the bottom of your firefox .
FileFactory Turbo thingy - I dunno why its still here :)
Firefox showcase - If I got 20+ tabs, its much easier to see which one is where.
FireFTP - FTP client.
FlashGot - Ability to download everything from everywhere on a website. For example, one website had 110 files on it, so I clicked once on flashgot and got them all.
Free Download Manager Plugin - Goes with above.
Greasemonkey - OooooOOooh. Nicy! Does everything and above.
Link Alert - Shows what the link will do:new window, safe window and so on.
magic Password Generator - nice for passwords.
Map+ - Right click -> Shows a map
Mouse Gestures - Disabled, I just use back and forward on my nice
NoScript - So I could browse safely and no popups whatsoever
Nuke Anything Enhanced - Just if I want to print a page
Reload Every - Woot off!!!! :D
Session Manager - THE BEST THING EVER. This allows you to restore any firefox state. It SAVES LIVES
Smiley Xtra- above.
VideoDownloader - Google, Youtube...

Adblock Plus - not much to be said
BugMeNot - useful when you follow a link to a site that needs registration...skip that
ChromaTabs - ohhhh...pretty colors...
DownThemAll - useful for mass downloading
FireFTP - decent enough FTP client
GreaseMonkey - wheeeee!
ReloadEvery - as mentioned above, for Woot-Offs :D
Tabbrowser Preferences - more options for controlling tabs and how they open/load
VideoDownloader - fairly obvious

What I dislike is how lots of extensions add new menu options in random places in my Tools menu =(
Be consistent, damnit!

FlashBlock: I hate going to websites that plays videos when you're listening to music.

Ad Block: Don't care much about ad's and it helps me save money by not buying anything.

No Script: Only like it running from trusted sites.

Tab Effect: I think it's cool.

Burnout01 said:
FlashBlock: I hate going to websites that plays videos when you're listening to music.

No Script: Only like it running from trusted sites.
Not sure if this will help much, but one of the settings within NoScript that can be enabled is blocking flash by default, so you're running redundant add-ons.

capturepo3.jpg

Here are mine and thanx for the last three new ones guys.
smilie_compi.gif

Attachments

• FireFox Extensions.jpg
    FireFox Extensions.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Adblock Plus - Blocks pop-ups and ads
Flashblock - Flash animations run only on click
ForecastFox - Adds current temp to browser
FoxyTunes - Controls different media players from browser
Media Pirate - Allows embedded media to be downloaded
Restart Tabbed - Restarts the browser, but keeps tabs and history
ShowIP - Show IP(s) of current page
Tab Mix Plus - Customize tabs
SmoothWheel - Smooths mouse scrolling
Search Engine Ordering - Allows custom ordering of search engine bar
Temporary Inbox - Creates fake e-mails to avoid sign-up spam
Download Statusbar - Puts download status in a toolbar, instead of window
Change - Searches webpage for currency and automatically converts it to specified type
Resize Search Box - Resize the search box
Firefox Extention Backup Extention - Backs up user profiles to restore in case Firefox dies
ImageBot - Quick uploading to ImageBot/Photobucket
Data Analytics - Allows copying of tables and manipulation of data

grumperfish said:
Not sure if this will help much, but one of the settings within NoScript that can be enabled is blocking flash by default, so you're running redundant add-ons.

FlashBlock puts an Icon on the video or ad that you can click when you're ready to watch.

Back