• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use the cables that come with your motherboard? Sata cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

I am building a new setup here and I have the ASUS p5b-E and 2 WD 250g SATA II 3.0 gps. I was wondering how many of you use the included cables that come with the motherboard (i.e SATA cables). I have no idea if these cables are even rated for SATA II or if you should use them.

i dont use them but they work fine.i dont like how stiff they are and their harder to hide.i replaced mine with some easy to bend cables.

maxfly said:
i dont use them but they work fine.i dont like how stiff they are and their harder to hide.i replaced mine with some easy to bend cables.
Maxfly could you tell me which cables you are using? I have the same problem, the stock Asus ones are just too stiff.

im not positive but i think these are the specific ones ive got.theyre much much easier to bend and the locking tabs are very useful.
http://www.svc.com/gc10atasm12.html
svc has a pretty good selection but their shipping prices may be a little high.so you may want to shop around a little.

Yes I used the stock ones too. I have not noticed the stiffness. I just took the loop that was left over and stuck it behind the MOBO tray.

I like the Asus SATA cables - especially the right angle ones! When you get 6 cables per MoBo, they start to add up quick (I think I have like 18 of them :) ). Flexibility is not an issue, and you can easily force them to whatever arrangement you need IMO.

I also used the included cables that came with my Areca 1210 XOR RAID-5 card. They are a bit longer and also have right angle plug on one end. They work perfect, and their longer length allows very neat routing to the PCIe card.

:cool:

Back