• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me OC my shiney new E6420!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Well I finally received all my stuff yesterday:

ASUS P5B-E (revision 1.02g (high ram voltage))
Intel E6420
Corsair XMS 5-5-5-12 2gb
Corsair 520w PSU

Well anyways, when I installed all this the board would power on the fans would turn on, but nothing else. No beeps.. zero... Skipping foward and a small miracle I got the board to boot up and installed windows. So I tryed doing some Overclocking and only goto 320 FSB before it would post at all. I got a drink turned it on again and bam it boots. So I go in the bios and take it back down to 311fsb. Anyways, I'm pretty sure I can get more than just 311fsb out of this thing so I really need your help on some bios settings.
Really I know enough about locking down the PCIE 100mhz and all that(memory at 5-5-5-15), but what I don't know is what should I set my voltages for the NB/SB/FSB termination Voltage/ICH and all that.

I read a review site that had some bios settings with a huge overclock Xbit site i think. Well they maxed out all the voltages to NB / SB ect... I dunno if that is a good idea or not. Anyone with experience with this board plz let me know what you think is safe so I can try to OC this box a little more.

TY!

Turning off asus hyperpath is necessary for much of an oc.

Other things i usally do just out of habit is to disable all onboard features you don't use ... which for me on folding rigs is almost every thing it doesn't need to boot and run.

I also disable the c1i/eist,tm stuff under cpu ... for my folding rigs they run at 100% load 724. You can try turning them on later once you find a good oc to save power/heat but having them off while you find your oc is a good idea.

and in chipset/Northbridge config manually set your ram timings ... don't let spd do it.

I think there is also a setting to enable? static read in chipset ... i recall changing it from default when i last oc'ed one of my p5b-d's ... dunno if it is the same on your -E.

As you oc, leave your dram ratio on auto for 1:1 or set it to 1:1 manually.

That's all i can think of off the top of my head on less than 1 cup of coffee :)
It has been a while since i oc'ed p5b and p5b-d's so I might have some memory gaps here :eek:

/edit ... i have a 6400 on p5b-d that folds 724 running at 400 fsb. I am not familiar with the -E but iirc it is similar to p5b except for the c2 rev on the 965 and higher V ddr setting like the p5b-d?

Last edited:
i'm sure i can help a bit. :) every board is different mind you..

to the OP, i've got a p5b-dlx.. i think the bios is pretty much the same, you just won't have the voltage options that i have available.

that said, here are some bios screenshots i took a while back for someone on the forums...maybe they can help:

i would start by disabling all of these things, actually you can leave 'execute bit disabled' on..it won't have an impact:
369308928_a79ba47a3c_b.jpg

in the NB settings, manually set your ram to the timings listed on the package:
372956939_0f736970b0_b.jpg

these are the settings i use if i want to run 450fsb, you can pretty much leave everything on auto:
369308770_e76e49cdf1_b.jpg

when i get to 500fsb and over is when i have to start getting close to maxing out my voltages, but you guys with your e6420's won't have to worry about that. nonetheless, here is what i run for 500-525fsb:
372956750_e3c2dbdac5_b.jpg

and finally, here is a nice quick guide to the bios and what the settings do: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115217

hope that helps some, lemme know if i can do anything else for ya. :)

damn heatbox Thank you! Thanks everyone for the help.

Yea so far I manually set all my voltages for the NB/SB ect.. Now @ 3ghz so far with default CPU voltages. So that REALLY helped in my OCing. The last computer I OC'd was my p4 2.4c so it's been awhile. My board is pretty flakey which makes me a little nervous. I was about to RMA it since I thought it was DOA. Now, it's running, but it it does not post at all when settings are not to it's liking. Anyways I love OCing new equipment :) hope I can get 3.2 default volts.

one thing to keep in mind is many people report having a "dead zone" in the fsb, where anything between say 350-400 just won't post. if you try 401 voila, it posts again.

you might try setting your cpu multiplier to 7 just until you figure out the quirks of your board. that way you know that the cpu isn't getting in the way when you are trying to find the boards nuances/limits.

Back