• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1333FSB pad mod on Dell E520?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josh2

Alright,
My ancheint freebie computer crashed earlier this year.. I was planning to build a Core2Duo build myself but since I was computerless I had to cop-out and get a prebuilt Dell to get back up and running right away. I'm mostly happy with it, but it's always kind of bugged me that I have a great OCing chip but no way to overclock it unless I spend $100+ on a new MB and case (Dell is BTX..).

Anyhow, I have the E6300 CPU. I was wondering if the 1333mhz FSB mod would work with the stock Dell MB -- anybody tried it?

I'm a little worried that it wont because AFAIK Dell only sells up to E6400 on this line so I don't know if they'd have built in support for a FSB that high.

I really want to try it but thought I'd ask and see if anybody else had tried it and failed or succeeded before I waste some time (and a few bucks on the rear window defogger kit..).

Even if it did work, it'd be a modest overclock as the multi isn't nearly as high as the E4300 but still, a few extra mhz for free is hard to argue with.. ;)

I chatted with Dell and they told me the max FSB my motherboard supported was 1066. Should I trust them or go ahead and give it a try anyway?

I doubt that it will work. I've tried it with the XPS 410 and Precision 390 and they don't recognize 1333 strap setting. Your best bet would be to sell your current and get an E4400 which will be able to get up to 2.66GHZ (yes, I have tried the E4400 and it does work)

Back