• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

state of 64bit support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

ok I'm looking for an honest answer guys...Im looking to upgrade to feisty fawn..and I'm trying to decide 64bit or not, I have a turion laptop. I know at first I tried 64bit on my athlon tower and found somethings lacking like flash player support etc.....is it worth going 64bit or should I stay with the regular x86?

The only thing, and I repeat the only thing that isn't in 64bit that you can't simply find a custom version for is flash....and for that there is nspluginwrapper.

Now, almost everything has been ported to 64bit. Some older applications/games aren't, but then again they are open source so if they don't work right off..just compile it yourself;).

ok let me ask this then....will I see much of a performance increase with 64 bit then?...or is it more a RAM scaling thing?

i doubt you'll notice any difference as a desktop system.

I've been running 64bit gentoo for months with no problems, btw.

Well using full 64bit with FAH will definately give you a performance advantage. Because the 64bit just means you have a 64bit memory address space (im pretty sure) whichs helps immensely with mathematical calculations as far as I know.

Back