• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What process should I go about for overclocking C2D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

I came from AMD and just bought myself a Bad Axe 2, 2GB of Wintec AmpX (the chips look a lot like Micron D9), and a Xeon 3060. I have a phase system that I will be settting this up on as well.

What are some basic steps to go about overclocking?

Should I put the memory/vcore/mch voltages to the max I'm going to want them at and go from there? Also, the DDR2 speeds are confusing the heck out of me, I've read the information here: http://www.peakin.com/xbx2/index.html but if anyone could better explain the different settings that would be great -- timings I do understand but there's so many different frequencies you're dealing with/figuring it's ridiculous.

What's a good starting point for overclocking here? Right now I'm sitting at a very slight 2.7 ghz overclock with stock voltages across the board, 9x300.

I've done a lot of reading but was just wondering if anyone had any experience/words of wisdom for C2D overclocking.

PS - I did read the XS thread and the information I need is in there but I hate how monolithic the thread(s) are @ XS, it takes hours of digging through a thread to find what you're looking for.

Thanks ahead of time,
Derek

RAM is simple. Set it to the 1:1 ratio and start overclocking. I like to start out at default voltages and increase FSB in increments to see what's stable and what's not. I generally only bump up voltages when I have to. It should do 3 gig with maybe only one bump in vcore (give or take). Your mileage may vary.

With a little work now I'm up to 3.8ghz with 1.55 vcore, maxed vmch and vfsb.

I'm going to slowly lower the voltages until they get unstable from my current settings.

My phase system needs to be torn apart and I need to do some major tuning with it. Load temps right now are ~ -14C, which I am not pleased with.

This Bad Axe 2 board/intel setup is overclocking sooooo much easier than my AMD setup. I'm amazed!

Back