• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably buying a PS3 this weekend, couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rainless said:
I already told you Fudge: EB's warranty. I questioned the guy thoroughly, and he said if anything at all was wrong with my 360 there would be no repair phase, no waiting for results, they would go straight to the back, get a new one, and hand it to me.

That's what it sounds like you want.

EXACTLY! I may even give them all my old PS2 stuff in trade if it's worth it. I've been thinking about getting a slimline anyway because even though I collect consoles, my big brick PS2 is most definately not going to work 20 years from now like all my other consoles that old do.

FudgeNuggets said:
EXACTLY! I may even give them all my old PS2 stuff in trade if it's worth it. I've been thinking about getting a slimline anyway because even though I collect consoles, my big brick PS2 is most definately not going to work 20 years from now like all my other consoles that old do.

Mine will. :)

I've got a gigantic hard drive sitting in it. And if that HD dies twenty years from now (it still has at least 2 years left in the warranty) I'll go to a "vintage" used PC shop and get another one.

First of all, WELCOME TO THE PS3 FAMILY...... in a few days.

I stopped by EB/Gamestop and they have a poster up showing $100 tradein value for a PS2 if you purchase a PS3 from them. So, they do have this offer. As for warranty, ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT. Don't trust everything the sale's person tells you. Sometimes they exaggrate their claim on the warranty. If something goes wrong, there is a list of criteria your problem item has to comply to before they will replace it.

FYI, extended warranty from BB is a definitely no no.

Well, I got it with the one year EB warranty and the BluRay disc for X-Men 3. I'm going to go give it a spin now. I'm probably going to go rent the SpiderMan3 game tomorrow.

Rent Resistance as soon as you can. Right now I have Motorstorm, Fight Night, and Resistance and can honestly say at least out of those games it is the best one out.

I downloaded F@H, downloaded the system updates and am in the process of downloading MotoStorm and GT-HD. I wish it wasn't, but it's like the 360 in the fact that it suspends downloads while watching movies.

I HATE using the Six-Axis as the DVD/BluRay controller, it sucks. I NEED to get a decent remote for it.

I just watched X-Men3, I LIKE the fact that all the BluRay boxes list the encoding method on the back. This was I was sure not to get one that was Mpeg2 as those hardly differ at all from the DVDs. The X-Men3 BluRay disc is FAR superior to the DVD even through my upscaled DVD player.

The easy touch eject and power buttons remind me a bit of the touch sensitive controlls on the iPod.

Black sucks, this thing is going to get dirty and dusty BAD and QUICK.

Even though the fans aren't as loud, this thing puts out A LOT of heat from the back vents. I hope it doesn't warp, melt my upscaling DVD player it's on top of or the optical audio cable (it IS that HOT).

Like the 360, it didn't want to connect to my Linksys SRX400 wireess router, so I had to connect it to my Buffalo Wireless bridge. So far, the Wii, the PC and the MAC are the only things that connected flawlessly to the Linksys SRX400. The 360, PS3 and DS Lite just don't like it.

I bought a cool MadCatz, multi-connector that lets me connect both the 360 and the PS3 at the same time to one component input on the TV and it was only $15, good deal!!

Last edited:
I just thought of another question. I'm going to try a few PS2 games in it in a few minutes, but how do I know if I got one with the PS2 chips in it or one th at runs off of software emulation?

Okay, I must have one with a PS2 chip in it as a threw 3 PS2 games at it and it played them in 480p without a hiccup.

Now a serious issue. I player MotorStorm and it LOOKED LIKE CRAP because it forced it into 480p mode even though I have only 1080i enables in the video settings.

Gran Turismo HD however played at 1080i flawlessly and looked nice.

How the hell do I know in advance which games are going to go 480p or will play in 1080i. As I've said before my HDTV has 3 modes, 480i/480p/1080i so it does not have 1080p or 720p.

If it comes down to it, I'll just avoid games altogether for the PS3 and go 360 all the way for gaming.

Guess I will just try to answer what I am seeing as questions in the order they are listed.

1. Yes, the polished black does show a lot of dust. These may interest you as they will cover the black. Also the Cover itself is removable so you can wash it if you ever need. There is speculation that the cover can be removed as Sony will have different ones to choose from in the future but so far nothing has been confirmed.

2. I seriously doubt anything will warp or melt due to the heat. I am not sure how hot your unit is running as there are currently different fans throughout the models, though if it is anything like mine you should be fine. Also if the heat was that bad chances are the PS3 itself would warp.

3. Not sure on your router. I am currently using a WRT54GL with my PS3 and everything has been working just fine.

4. NA PS3 are currently still hardware based emulation. However, the Software based PS3s are already near 80% emulation so odds are your games would work either way.

5. Upscaling is a developers choice as it stands. Motorstorm is a 720P game and currently there has not been released a patch to upscale it to 1080I. A new trend among game developers seems though to be either support 1080i from the start or release a patch to support it. So as these patches are released and more and more games become 1080P native this issue should hopefully go away. As it stands now though you should be OK with most new games, it is the launch titles that you will have issues with.

FudgeNuggets said:
I downloaded F@H, downloaded the system updates and am in the process of downloading MotoStorm and GT-HD. I wish it wasn't, but it's like the 360 in the fact that it suspends downloads while watching movies.

I HATE using the Six-Axis as the DVD/BluRay controller, it sucks. I NEED to get a decent remote for it.

I just watched X-Men3, I LIKE the fact that all the BluRay boxes list the encoding method on the back. This was I was sure not to get one that was Mpeg2 as those hardly differ at all from the DVDs. The X-Men3 BluRay disc is FAR superior to the DVD even through my upscaled DVD player.

The easy touch eject and power buttons remind me a bit of the touch sensitive controlls on the iPod.

Even though the fans aren't as loud, this thing puts out A LOT of heat from the back vents. I hope it doesn't warp, melt my upscaling DVD player it's on top of or the optical audio cable (it IS that HOT).

Like the 360, it didn't want to connect to my Linksys SRX400 wireess router, so I had to connect it to my Buffalo Wireless bridge. So far, the Wii, the PC and the MAC are the only things that connected flawlessly to the Linksys SRX400. The 360, PS3 and DS Lite just don't like it.

I bought a cool MadCatz, multi-connector that lets me connect both the 360 and the PS3 at the same time to one component input on the TV and it was only $15, good deal!!

Does it only connect two devices?

I'll never need another connector again. I've got two components, two composites, two S-video one VGA and one HDMI. If I got a PS3 I'd probably connect it to the HDMI input.

Get a new router. Something like the WRT54GL. I've got a version 2.0 54G. They suck in terms of maximum simultaneous connections but they're great with modified firmware. I've connected the 360, PS2, DS, and PSP with absolutely no problem. (Plus the damned thing only costs fifty bucks.)

How'd the PS2 games go?

The PS2 games worked fine Rainman. I'm not concerned about the router because the Buffalo I've got right next to it has 4 inputs and all I've got on it now are the 360 and PS3. My TV has 2 coaxial inputs, 4 composite inputs, 5 s-video inputs and 2 component inputs.

Fudge make sure and register your Playstation 3. I never registered mine and as such was not even considered to part of the HOME beta trials. Also you may want to look into Linux when you get a chance, it works very well for storing all your movies. (I should have a guide up for that soon, however the 500GB HDD I ordered got put on backorder from Frys so I have to wait for it first)

tenchi86 said:
Fudge make sure and register your Playstation 3. I never registered mine and as such was not even considered to part of the HOME beta trials. Also you may want to look into Linux when you get a chance, it works very well for storing all your movies. (I should have a guide up for that soon, however the 500GB HDD I ordered got put on backorder from Frys so I have to wait for it first)

I'll look forward to reading that :D

Seriously, how do I tell if a game is going to display in 480p or 1080i? I just downloaded the F1 demo and it was in 480p, so MotoStorm and F1 is in 480p and Grand Turismo HD is in 1080i. I was going to go rent Spiderman3 but if it's going to be in 48-p then I'll jsut get it for the 360 where I KNOW it'll display in 1080i (and believ me the difference is HUGE . )

As I was saying Fudge upscaling is based upon the game. So if the Box says 720P then it will only do 720P. The issue with these early games is Sony did not even announce to developers the PS3 had a scaler until January for some odd reason. Meaning all games made before or during that time would be based upon the mindset that the developers would have to software scale their own games. As said, Sony did unveil the hardware scaler in January, however, even then they only showed developers how to use it for Horizontal scaling. As such the question switched from "Does the PS3 have a scaler?" to "Does the PS3 have a Vertical and Horizontal scaler?" which has yet to of been answered. On it's own the Horizontal scaler cannot do 720P to 1080I upscaling, though it can drastically help in the process. Anyway here is a much more detailed and in-depth article about it.
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/16/1

Also Fudge, DScaler a scaler that runs on Windows may be able to help you if you throw a TV Capture card in the AMD system of yours. I am actually considering it for myself but first I am just trying to figure out of my old 2.4Ghz Intel can handle it and if so how much a decent supported TV Tuner is.

Last edited:
FudgeNuggets said:

Logitech remotes are pretty nice. You can control anything with em.

rainless said:
Yeah. I didn't know Fudge didn't have 720p (who doesn't have 720p these days?)

the majority of us. The reason HD only broadcasting keeps getting pushed back year after year is because for hte majority of americans, HDTV is still very much a luxury item, not a regular item.

I mean, why spend 1500 on a TV when for the same amount, I can build a computer capable of HD, or buy myself a used car that is in great shape?

Back