• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably buying a PS3 this weekend, couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I only spent $500 on my HDTV last year, and finding one in that price range is far from difficult. Sure it won' be 50 inches of sexy, but a cheap 32" HDTV is not that absurd a notion.

Elif Tymes said:
I only spent $500 on my HDTV last year, and finding one in that price range is far from difficult. Sure it won' be 50 inches of sexy, but a cheap 32" HDTV is not that absurd a notion.

Precisely. I spent exactly $500 on my HDTV last Christmas. It's also 32".

That's standard tv pricing... or maybe just a little bit more for a lot more product. Came with three different tuners as a matter of fact. And, truth be told, they shouldn't even be SELLING standard def tvs anymore if they want to switch all broadcasting to HDTV.

TollhouseFrank said:
the majority of us. The reason HD only broadcasting keeps getting pushed back year after year is because for hte majority of americans, HDTV is still very much a luxury item, not a regular item.

I mean, why spend 1500 on a TV when for the same amount, I can build a computer capable of HD, or buy myself a used car that is in great shape?

The majority of Americans don't buy $1500 cars and don't use the computer for more than internet and email.

Most Americans do, however, log many, many, many hours in front of the TV which makes it more worth while to have a nice TV. Although, I don't think the masses have been given a good enough reason to move to HD.

Eventually HD-DVD or Bluray will really catch on and HD there will be more HD channels available. Once again the video game market is pushing new technology forward until the mainstream catches up.

ps My HDTV is easily the best purchase I've made in years. I just can't watch sports in SD anymore (if theres a choice) and everything looks better on a bigger screen. Skip a year of PC upgrades and get the TV:drool:

Im simply confused. Who sells HDTVs that only display 480i/p and 1080i? Thats a new one to me. As far as I know, HTDVs were released 480i/p + 720p. Eventually it made its way to 480i/p + 720p + 1080i. Finally made it to 480i/p + 720p + 1080i/p. Who doesnt have 720p on an HDTV?

Just curious, as this sounds like a very weird combination.

Surfrider77 said:
Im simply confused. Who sells HDTVs that only display 480i/p and 1080i? Thats a new one to me. As far as I know, HTDVs were released 480i/p + 720p. Eventually it made its way to 480i/p + 720p + 1080i. Finally made it to 480i/p + 720p + 1080i/p. Who doesnt have 720p on an HDTV?

I've had it for over 5 years. As I've said I'm alwasy on the cutting edge. Early adopter baby. It's a 51" Panasonic projection HDTV. It's just like this one, but 51" instead of 47
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PT-47WX53-Widescreen-HD-Ready-Projection/dp/B00009YAHJ

Last edited:
Surfrider77 said:

Actually, 1080i was a prevalent standard in TV sets long before 720p. 720p has only become very common since LCD flat panel sets and LCD rear projection sets have become common. When the majority of HDTV's were CRT and CRT rear projection, 1080i was "HDTV" for most people. 720p was mostly only available with $10,000 plasma screens.

Manufacturers typically skimped on the electronics and did not offer 720p as a display mode in CRT based equipment.

Since TV broadcast was in 1080i, and consoles eren't out yet, it probably made sense. I hope you enjoy it for folding, I don't think you needed the warrenty, there have been very few instances of PS3's breaking, mine has been folding for over 22 days straight or something, and it's not even hot. It's pretty much summer here in Southern California.

Hazaro said:
Since TV broadcast was in 1080i, and consoles eren't out yet, it probably made sense. I hope you enjoy it for folding, I don't think you needed the warrenty, there have been very few instances of PS3's breaking, mine has been folding for over 22 days straight or something, and it's not even hot. It's pretty much summer here in Southern California.

Mine was hot as hell from the moment I turned it on. I got the warranty because I fully expect the BluRay drive to crap out in just over a year, that was the way it went with my PS1, PS2 and 360.

FudgeNuggets said:
Mine was hot as hell from the moment I turned it on. I got the warranty because I fully expect the BluRay drive to crap out in just over a year, that was the way it went with my PS1, PS2 and 360.

I honestly hope it doesnt, but I can say I have never had a console give me problems in my life other than the typical old Nintendo "blow in the cartridge while standing on one foot" trick to get the game to play. I know there were some PS2 issues, but mine ran from first release until I dropped in my PS3 a few months ago.

I think you've had some particular bad luck, my friend!

PS. Upgrade your TV! ;)

Yeah Surf, but me and a couple million others have had this "bad luck". I own 30 consoles and those 3 are the only ones to have given me problems. Some want to blame it on the CD/DVD technology but my Saturn, Sega CD and DreamCast all work flawlessly still.

Back