• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably buying a PS3 this weekend, couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I'm wondering who's got the best extended warranty program for when I buy it. Looking for US retailers this time as they're cheaper in the US and I'm going to Buffalo this weekend anyway. Not buying online, because I NEED to purchase the extended warranty.

I REALLY wish I could find someplace with 20GB models as that would save $100.

What component cables are best? I heard the standard PS2 ones work fine.

Just to reiterate something. It will play movies in 1080i and not downscale them to 480p, right?

But Fudge... isn't Sony going out of business in a week or something? :)

Get EB's warranty. You have a year or two and you can walk into any EB and walk out with another one. (Check to see if Gamestop will continue supporting EB warranties though...)

1. The best extended warranties would come from warehouse stores such as Sam's Club, Costco, or BJs. Often times they are much easier to deal with than a store like Best Buy. The downside is that these stores require memberships, so they may not be in your favor.

2. Component cables are component cables. If you have existing ones from your PS2 you should be fine.

3. The PS3 only downscales if your HDTV does not support a particular resolution. For example, if your TV does not support 720p natively, know that many PS3 games will be scaled down to 480p. If your HDTV supports 720p and 1080i then you're in good shape.

deception``

deception`` said:
3. The PS3 only downscales if your HDTV does not support a particular resolution. For example, if your TV does not support 720p natively, know that many PS3 games will be scaled down to 480p. If your HDTV supports 720p and 1080i then you're in good shape.

deception``

It only supports 480i, 480p and 1080i.

deception`` said:
2. Component cables are component cables. If you have existing ones from your PS2 you should be fine.

well since component is an analog signal the cable quality does matter, but there is no sense in spending a ridiculous amount of money as the ps2 component cables work just fine. that's what i use on my ps3.

as far as downscaling, it really depends on the game as deception said. some games will use 480p over 1080i if your tv does not support 720p, and then some games will use 1080i if you cannot display 720p. you can also attempt to trick it into always using 1080i by just disabling the 480p resolution from the video settings, but sometimes this will backfire on you and it will use 480i, heh.

i thought it was common knowledge that extended warranties are a huge rip off?

maybe not so with consoles, but i haven't heard of any ps3's dying...have there been problems with that?

Yeah. I didn't know Fudge didn't have 720p (who doesn't have 720p these days?)

Just use 1080i. I mean there's no point in getting expensive component cables anyway if you can't even do 1080p. Does your TV do HDMI? (You really should catch one of those Microcenter deals. That's where I got my TV.)

FudgeNuggets said:
It only supports 480i, 480p and 1080i.

I would do some more searching on this before you buy a PS3 then. I think the PS3's internal scaler is a big issue for someone such as yourself -who owns an HDTV but lacks one of the key resolutions. I would not want to shell out big bucs on any system just to have my content downscaled.

Perhaps a jump to some PS3 forums might give you a better perspective.

deception``

deception`` said:
I would do some more searching on this before you buy a PS3 then. I think the PS3's internal scaler is a big issue for someone such as yourself -who owns an HDTV but lacks one of the key resolutions. I would not want to shell out big bucs on any system just to have my content downscaled.

deception``

The main reason he's buying a PS3 is for the bluray player (he already has an HD-DVD drive on the 360). It makes more sense for him to pay a hundred extra bucks and have a video game system (that folds!) than to get a stand-alone player.

deception`` said:

deception``

I've looked there and just found a bunch of bickering. The general consensus I guess is that it'll play BluRay movies in 1080i. I don't know or care too much about the games.

rainless said:
Yeah. I didn't know Fudge didn't have 720p (who doesn't have 720p these days?)

Early adopters my man.......

I'll eventually get an LCD with 1080p and HDMI, but it's going to be at least 47" as I hate to go any smaller when I'm used to my 51".

FudgeNuggets said:
Early adopters my man.......

I'll eventually get an LCD with 1080p and HDMI, but it's going to be at least 47" as I hate to go any smaller when I'm used to my 51".

Truthfully when you get the 1080 u'll notice the difference. Even if it is smaller. I went from a 52 to a 46 Bravia XBR3 and LOVE THE BRAVIA more. Quality is SO MUCH BETTER.

evolved_st8 said:
Truthfully when you get the 1080 u'll notice the difference. Even if it is smaller. I went from a 52 to a 46 Bravia XBR3 and LOVE THE BRAVIA more. Quality is SO MUCH BETTER.

Got my PS3 connected to a 46" Bravia XBR3 as well. The 1080p picture quality is simply stunning. Watched the new Bond movie on Bluray this weekend was was amazed how it makes images look so 3D.

Upgrade your TV Fudge, you wont be disappointed. :thup:

Warranty wise this is a personal preference thing. It comes with a 1 year warranty and I personally choose to extend that to two years at Wal-Mart as they have been good to me warranty wise in the past.

Cable wise I would just get some off of Ebay. I got my HDMI-DVI cable with 24K gold connections for 4 bucks with shipping on there and it's the same quality as my 60$ monster DVI cable.

This one I am not positive on as my TV will not tell you what resolution it's running in. However, I believe that games will be downscaled to 480P while movies will play at 1080I. Also Sony about a month ago did acknowledge this issue so hopefully in a Firmware update in the near future we will see a fix for this.

FudgeNuggets said:
I've looked there and just found a bunch of bickering. The general consensus I guess is that it'll play BluRay movies in 1080i. I don't know or care too much about the games.

you are correct, it will play bluray in 1080i if you do not have 720/1080p. our tv only supports 480 in progressive, and when i watch bluray movies it chooses 1080i.

tenchi86 said:
This one I am not positive on as my TV will not tell you what resolution it's running in. However, I believe that games will be downscaled to 480P while movies will play at 1080I. Also Sony about a month ago did acknowledge this issue so hopefully in a Firmware update in the near future we will see a fix for this.

depends on the game, some choose 480p over 1080i which is lame, and some choose 1080i.

tenchi86 said:
Warranty wise this is a personal preference thing. It comes with a 1 year warranty and I personally choose to extend that to two years at Wal-Mart as they have been good to me warranty wise in the past.

Cable wise I would just get some off of Ebay. I got my HDMI-DVI cable with 24K gold connections for 4 bucks with shipping on there and it's the same quality as my 60$ monster DVI cable.

Man... You guys got weird TVs... I just got what I thought was an ol' cheapo Spectre from Micro Center... but it tells me what resolution I'm at (via the "info" button) has HDMI, VGA, SVIDEO, 2 Components... and a hell of a lot of other stuff (including both minijack and digital connections for connecting my PC), and does 720p/1080i. I frankly wasn't expecting half the features I got... and certainly not on sale for $500 after rebate (which I got in a timely fashion.)

Now to get back to the U.S. so I can see it...

rainless said:
Man... You guys got weird TVs... I just got what I thought was an ol' cheapo Spectre from Micro Center... but it tells me what resolution I'm at (via the "info" button) has HDMI, VGA, SVIDEO, 2 Components... and a hell of a lot of other stuff (including both minijack and digital connections for connecting my PC), and does 720p/1080i. I frankly wasn't expecting half the features I got... and certainly not on sale for $500 after rebate (which I got in a timely fashion.)

Now to get back to the U.S. so I can see it...

Wow sounds decent. My Mitsu for some reason always tells me that I am at 1080P when I am on my PS3. Whether it be movies or games. The weird thing tho. When im on my 360. It switches and tells me whatever the resolution of the game is. I.E. (R6V runs at 720p) the TV will say 720Pu. Meaning 720P upscaled. Weird huh? Now i just use my projector for the 360 and my TV for my PS3.

I'm bumping this thread because I HAVE decided to pull the trigger and get one this weekend. I want the BEST warranty program though. One that'll give me a new PS3, Johnny On The Spot, no questions asked WHEN mine goes belly up.

FudgeNuggets said:
I'm bumping this thread because I HAVE decided to pull the trigger and get one this weekend. I want the BEST warranty program though. One that'll give me a new PS3, Johnny On The Spot, no questions asked WHEN mine goes belly up.

I already told you Fudge: EB's warranty. I questioned the guy thoroughly, and he said if anything at all was wrong with my 360 there would be no repair phase, no waiting for results, they would go straight to the back, get a new one, and hand it to me.

That's what it sounds like you want.

Back