• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temp. monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sneveTsS

Registered
What program do you use to monitor temps? Something stock with the MB or something else?

e6600
EVGA 680i
g-skill 2x1gb 800mhz RAM

that all you need?

I'm looking for something really accurate and sophisticated for OCing

:welcome: to OCF !

coretemp and tat only read cpu temps.

I assume the evga mobo comes with a utility that will read all temps including mobo ... so i would use it and calibrate the others against it.

I can't stand the gibabyte utility so once i calibrate it with core temp I only run core temp.
On my asus mobos i usually run both asus probe which has a good screen footprint as well as coretemp since asus probe is very flakey on cpu temps. Old versions of asus prob had a nice grahing feature but it is gone with the newer versions.
The utilities that come with the mobos are proprietary so they only run on that vendors mobo afaik.

Some people prefer the tat intel utility to core temp but i like coretemp's compact design so it doesn't clutter my screen.

What ever you like and gives you repeatable and consistant results.

Absolute accucracy isn't that important, but relative and repeatable accuracy is so you can measure the effect of changes.

sometimes i also try speedfan during initial calibration but it is pretty buggy on new mobo's and cpu's on default setup.

There may be some more sophisticated tools that you can buy, but everything mentioned here is free.

Last edited:
So you'd recommend core-temps and/or the built-in MB temp monitors? The system comes in tomorrow, so I don't have a BIOS to look at yet, so I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to 'calibrating' it. Is this something that coretemps does or something I should do prior to overclocking?

Back