• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fallout 3 techdemo released!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

Post here

You didn't think we were done, did you?

No Mutants Allowed is proud to present Black Isle Studio's Van Buren tech demo (Van Buren is BIS' cancelled Fallout 3 project), you can download it via our fileserver.

A few very basic notes:
1. Installation is basically unpacking the RAR file and clicking .exe. There is some waiting time the first time you load it.
2. Don't forget that this is a pre-alpha tech demo from 2003: the combat is pretty much unimplemented (sucky realtime only), the graphics are really basic. Also, most people will want to change the resolution, which can be done after the first time you run it. See instructions here
3. The file is a whopping 241 MB, but don't be disappointed that it doesn't offer a full night's worth of gameplay (though in true Fallout style, it offers a lot of different paths to victory).
4. Also in true Fallout style, the demo is very, very buggy. Expect frequent crashes.

Since this is probably the last time we will be posting on Van Buren, let me take this opportunity to send out a thank-you to the Van Buren staff and everyone who ever worked for Black Isle Studios. Gentlemen (and ladies); it was an honour and a privilege to watch you work and a pleasure to play your games. We salute you.

Fr3@k3r said:
Fallout is by some standards one of the best games out there :) to some people.
It is the best game in the genre ever. :D

This is great news to me.

To any gamer who hasn't played Fallout. You missed a great game. The first one was a great game. The second was even better. It was cheasy but in a great way.

Lets hope they actually pull this one out. Not tease me yet again. :mad: If this turns out like the last kajillion starts. I am done.

Just so it's clear, this isn't Bethesda's Fallout 3, but a tech demo from Black Isle, quite apparently.

Is this a hold off until they can get somthing out. Looks like that. They rollout an older demo that was supposed to happen. Just to remind everyrone, it is not dead.

I heard it al lbefore with FO3. Lets hope this is not another crap talk game.

FYI, this one game is what made me hate gaming in general. To much crap to deal with. Lies polotics and other poop to listen to. if you know the background. It is celar why I feel like this. (I still game though)

if FO3 does indeed come out it will be one of my most anticipated game releases ever. Going to try the demo when I get home tonight.

custom90gt said:
if FO3 does indeed come out it will be one of my most anticipated game releases ever. Going to try the demo when I get home tonight.

Most fans of the fallout games are up in arms as Bethesda and stated that they with not be making the game turn base and "will be using technicality they have been working on".

Most people are expecting a skinned Oblivion or "S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2" with leveling.

I hope Fallout3 will be something new and thrilling. I don't want another isometric turn based game like the first two. I can still go play them if I want that experience, and frankly, it never gets old because of all the memories I still have and the incredible sense of nostalgia I get by playing it.

What I want is a brand new experience in the Fallout series, I don't care if hardcore fans hate it, the hell with those nerds who can't let old game mechanics die, I want a new game, who will set new standards for all future RPGs.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php?page=fo3-faq

It's not sbout the game. It was the feeling it gave you.

The stupid NPC comments and game itself... The best NPC I ever read in game was... " I am unique, like everyone else".

All I ask is keep that part. Let it evlove as it should.

Yes, I am one of those die hards. I played it more then you might have on teh potty.

This is great! I may even reinstall my old Fallout gamnes just for a fun walk down memory lane!

I've never played the Fallout series. Does is use D&D rules? For some reason, I get the feeling that it plays similar to Baldur's Gate, and I hated that series. Is this game similar?

I might be a tad biased... o_O

Fallout is not like any other game. Other games are like Fallout. It is that much of an unique and influental game. If you do say. it is like another game. You might say Wastelands. Though it is its own game.

It is a turn based grid RPG. In some ways it is near D&D. In many ways it is not.

Completely different ruleset then DnD, but it's completely turn-based, unlike the Infinity engine games, which were turn-based but displayed under a real-time display.

Rounds are point-based, with each entity having a certain # of action points that they can spend on differant actions, ie walking, firing, etc, in any combination. So you can fire a rifle, run forward, and then beat the crap out of the baddie in one round if you have enough points. Quite different, and actually more fluid then DnD.

One thing I would like to happen in this. Is some of the original voice actors from the first two come back.

Back