Super Shark Moderator
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile

MaxPC's comment on CoreTemp reading?!

anyone read this month's issue of MaxPC's comment of CoreTemp reading for a Quad core??

in my case, I see my Quad's reading from BIOS/mobo/utility that read as BIOS @ low 40C to CoreTemp's low 60C under full load!!

any comment?? Coolest??

Fire up your favorite temperature-monitoring program on a Core 2 processor and I'll bet the reading you get is wrong. At least that's the conclusion I've come to after a confusing week of trying to figure out which temp utility is accurate.

RightMark CPU clock utility tells me that my lightly overclocked Core 2 Extreme QX6600 is idling at 32C, yet Core Temp tells me it's at 48C. Which one is right? Neither.

There are 2 different temperature measurements going on inside a Core 2. Each individual core has it's own digital thermal sensor (DTS) that writes a value to a register in the core. The number the DTS reports; however, is not the temperature of the core, it is a value that coutns down to zero. When it hits zero, the core should throttle down. It's also intended to be used for controlling fan speeds, not as a direct temperature reference. CoreTemp is guessing (incorrectly, according to Intel) what the offset is.

There's also an old-fashioned thermal diode inside the CPU, just off to the side of the two processors, under the lid. Intel says the temperature the diode reports is probably more indicative of the CPU's actual temperature (and it's probably what the BIOS and most OEM motherboard utilities report). Still, that number isn't necessarily correct.

Believe it or not, to accurately measure the temperature of a Core 2 chip, Intel recommends tha tyou mill out a groove in the heat spreader and install a thermal couple at the exact center of the heat spreader. If I did this, I would probably see that the CPU is nowhere near the maximum temperature - 65C - that Intel rates it for. Ther moral of this story? Take your temp utility readings with a grain of salt.
    ~~~ Currently Inactive Mode ~~~

Got SOLD? MOVE your own thread!

Folding User Stats
    How many GHz of Intel + Nvidia folding power? Dunno! Lost count!

| F@H Vista Sidebar gadget | F@H Yahoo Widget | F@H iGoogle gadget |

| My Heatware | My New HTPC 3.0: Server/Client setup + Better energy efficiency |

I have always felt the same way, but have always used coretemp because it gives me the highest temperatures just to be on the safe side. Now if someone could just come out with something that actually works.

i am not sure whats accurate but i dont hold max pc in high regard either.
    Z87-GD65 | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 5tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |

HEAT

Sure is confusing on my quad bios says -3c core temp says 13c speedfan says -9c tat says 8c and asus probe says 246c you would think that as they make the chips they would have an accurate way of measuring its temperature.
    OVERCLOCKERS.COM THE ONLY TEAM TO CRUNCH SETI FOR
    Main rig
    CPU QX9770 @ 4.0
    MotherboardFoxconn Blackops
    Memory 2gig Diablo
    HD 450gig Raid 10
    Graphics EVGA 9800 GX2
    Cooling
    Water
    Benching rig
    Anything i havent broken yet.

I don't think they have ever monitored temps from a phase unit correctly. lol

| Dell Studio17 Laptop |

| T9300 @ 2.5Ghz - ATI 3850 - 3GB RAM - Seagate 320GB 7200rpm - 17" (1920x1200) Glossy widescreen | Windows 7 64-bit |

Quote Originally Posted by inkfx
    I don't think they have ever monitored temps from a phase unit correctly. lol
    Very true will have to check my air cooled rigs when i get home from work.
    OVERCLOCKERS.COM THE ONLY TEAM TO CRUNCH SETI FOR
    Main rig
    CPU QX9770 @ 4.0
    MotherboardFoxconn Blackops
    Memory 2gig Diablo
    HD 450gig Raid 10
    Graphics EVGA 9800 GX2
    Cooling
    Water
    Benching rig
    Anything i havent broken yet.