• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 1000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoysBoysBoys

Registered
Whats the point of having DDR2 1000 if there are no motherboards that support it? Every motherboard on newegg including the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 only support DDR2 800.

if you overclock, you will be pushing your FSB higher and in order to run a desirable ratio (1:1), and consequently your ram will often need to run at speeds higher than 800mhz

for instance, my motherboard only officially lists support for ddr2-800, but my ram is running near 1100 mhz due to a cpu overclock around 4.6ghz

Last edited:
ive been searching all over the forums and im wondering the same thing as the oringinal poster of this thread -
people can buy DDR2 1000 ram but what's the point if the motherboards don't support it ? is it true that am2 chipsets won't recognize ddr2 ram thats faster than ddr2 800 (at stock speeds) ?

resoluteK said:
for instance, my motherboard only officially lists support for ddr2-800, but my ram is running near 1100 mhz due to a cpu overclock around 4.6ghz
everybody is OCing their ram, and thats fine, but what if someone wanted to buy DDR2 1000 ram and have more space to push the ram ? would DDR2 1000 ram work in a motherboard with an nvidia 590 chipset?
or x_x i guess my question is : why would you buy ddr2 800 ram if you could buy ddr2 1000 ram if price wasn't an option ? is price the only reason that people buy ddr2 800 ?

The thing is, the motherboard may not natively support that speed is the problem.... but it will run any speed the FSB and/or the RAM can handle. Just because it's only rated for 800mhz doesn't mean the motherboard can't push the ram to 1200mhz. Buying 1000mhz RAM just means that you're guaranteed that speed out of the box when you overclock. Some people will pay that extra price, but your motherboard isn't going to say that it doesn't recognize it... just more than likely won't support that speed without a manual adjustment.

I hope this clears up your question.

wow okay thanks a bunch. makes plenty of sense to me
and it helps a lot - so buying DDR2 1000 ram just means that I won't have to OC the ram out of the box and actually make the MB work to recognize it
i get it now - thanks again :)

I run my Patriot Extreme PC800 (6400) @ 1360mhz (FSB)

Now if it were PC8000 or the 8500 brother, I'd get better OC's.

D9 chips are the snizzle right now. Higher rating the better. :thup:

Back