• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6420, can't get stable past 350 FSB. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
those ballistix are d9's, correct? if so, take the timings off of spd, and manually set 4-4-4-10. slap the vdimm at 2.1v and you should be set. if this works, maybe try 2.0v and see if it cooperates ;)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
those ballistix are d9's, correct? if so, take the timings off of spd, and manually set 4-4-4-10. slap the vdimm at 2.1v and you should be set. if this works, maybe try 2.0v and see if it cooperates ;)

On spd they are at 4-4-4-12 at 400. Do you think some more vdimm would help my overclocks at the 8 multi?

sometimes using spd can cause instabilities. i would manually set the timings.

i think that more vdimm COULD help your oc at 3.2ghz. that's 400*8, so you are using only 1.9v for ddr2-800 speeds. most d9's people buy at that speed (rated for ddr2-800 i mean) have voltages listed at like "2.0-2.2v", so there is a range. i would try 2.1v and see how high you can go. :)

hUMANbEATbOX said:
sometimes using spd can cause instabilities. i would manually set the timings.

i think that more vdimm COULD help your oc at 3.2ghz. that's 400*8, so you are using only 1.9v for ddr2-800 speeds. most d9's people buy at that speed (rated for ddr2-800 i mean) have voltages listed at like "2.0-2.2v", so there is a range. i would try 2.1v and see how high you can go. :)

One more question before I go back in.:)
Would upping the vdimm help me to overclock further without going up on the cpu vcore? Or would it just make my current overclock more stable?

that entirely depends on what your cpu is capable of.

if the cpu is maxed at its current volts, nothing will help you except upping its volts. ;) if its not maxed at its current volts, then its the low memory voltage that is holding you back.

i don't know if using more vdimm will make you more stable at your current clocks (that depends on how stable you are ;)), but it should allow for higher fsb/mem speeds.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
that entirely depends on what your cpu is capable of.

if the cpu is maxed at its current volts, nothing will help you except upping its volts. ;) if its not maxed at its current volts, then its the low memory voltage that is holding you back.

i don't know if using more vdimm will make you more stable at your current clocks (that depends on how stable you are ;)), but it should allow for higher fsb/mem speeds.

I tried but it crashed at 7 seconds with vcore where it's at and at 12 seconds on one bump of vcore. That was at 3.3mhz.
Oh well I'll play a bit tomorrow night. I'm tired and I hear the couch calling.:)
Thanks a lot for the help HBB.:beer:

hey no probs, anytime. :)

and with that, i've got 5k posts. :eek: spammage :beer:

i prefer my old title tho, 'Contributing Member'. :(

Back