• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Friend's 360 is showing the red ring of death

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Hi folks, basically the 360 makes a short sound out of the optical drive when turning it on, and then immediately shows the flashing red ring of death. It's out of warranty.

Is there anything that can be done to fix it? Thanks.

Wrap it in a towel and turn it on. Wait until it powers down due to overheat. Take the towel off, let it cool down, and power it on.

If that doesn't work, smack it. Hard. On the side.

The towel thing works more often than naught. I've seen both of these suggestions on other forums I frequent, and they've both worked.

Well, my friend called Micro$oft and explained what happened. He ended up paying $139.90 to have it "fixed". Probably they'll just swap it, at least they better for that price I think. Oh yeah, that $140 includes free shipping and a one-year warranty. Whoop-de-friggin-do.

To top it off he tells me that he had to sit on the phone for 30 minutes before somebody picked up. :rolleyes:

Did anything ever come of the class action lawsuit filed against Micro$oft over these XBOX 360 hardware failures?

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=28318

Last edited:
benbaked said:
Well, my friend called Micro$oft and explained what happened. He ended up paying $139.90 to have it "fixed". Probably they'll just swap it, at least they better for that price I think. Oh yeah, that $140 includes free shipping and a one-year warranty. Whoop-de-friggin-do.

To top it off he tells me that he had to sit on the phone for 30 minutes before somebody picked up. :rolleyes:

Did anything ever come of the class action lawsuit filed against Micro$oft over these XBOX 360 hardware failures?

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=28318

Microsoft will attempt to repair the same console; if they cannot repair the console within a few days your friend will most likely receive a refurbished console. It is rare that they would send out a new console.

BTW, your friend should have known better than to not pick up an extended warranty. I consider it a must for any next-gen console, especially the 360.

deception``

Last edited:
Back